81#
發表於 09-2-23 12:34 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

82#
發表於 09-2-23 12:38 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

83#
發表於 09-2-23 13:58 |只看該作者
Before sharing my little thoughts, I wish to disclaim that I am neither an RC parent nor a fan of the school.  It just happened that my Eurasian niece once studied in RC and that I have colleagues having their kids studying there.

I treasure reading postings in BK as a source of information to help plan the education path for my kid who's only 3 yrs old.  The current thread has recently attracted much debate and I appeal to you all that it should come to an end.

In fact, it is all a matter of expectation and perception towards how one feels and thinks about a school.  My two cents are, if it is merely a perception thing, it is wise not to make judgment and even force others to accept one's belief.  After all, BK is a public chat room and there is nothing called "absolutely right" or "absolutely wrong".  Comments carrying elements of personal attacks such as "虛榮心" should be sparingly made, if not at all avoided.

I hope all of you will join hands to build a place where apart from freedom of expression, there is respect for one another.

84#
發表於 09-2-23 14:45 |只看該作者
原帖由 cornelius 於 09-2-23 13:58 發表
Before sharing my little thoughts, I wish to disclaim that I am neither an RC parent nor a fan of the school.  It just happened that my Eurasian niece once studied in RC and that I have colleagues hav ...

I agree, let make this BK Forum a peaceful place to chat. After all, how good your kids can learn is not only depends on how good the school is, but also depends on a lot of happenings after school. So parents' contribution are a MUST too!

85#
發表於 09-2-23 21:16 |只看該作者
Long discussion!!  

I always thinking a way how to "long" and "short" (I mean stock/ warrant) at the same time.  The day I find the way, I should be rich!

My girl will go to RC Y1 in coming year.. I am not a native English speaker, and we use to speak Cantonese at home.  I am quite happy to see my girl can read, can speak fairly good English, and I am also happy to talk to her in Cantonese.  It is quite surprise to see my kid cannot talk to her grandma.  May be some parents in BK are having very good English level and they are very much eager to have extremely high "Native" level of English.  But fo me, my feeling is "SO WHAT"!  I see some Malaysian and Singaporian friends, they are speaking good English, Chinese, and even Malaysian.  Their kids are growing up in Multi-language environment.  Though, I can see they are not specially good at either language, but they are using all very well.

The reason I go RC is not the English level of the school, but the environment and IB.  I know student speaking Cantonese after class.  The school knows as well.  The school is respecting a multi language environment and they do not think that is a problem.  Learning is not restricted by language, as long as the kid are happy to learn and having fair level in both Chinese and English will be good.  Children are very flexible, they are so clever to switch between languages.  As a Chinese parent, I do not know why I have to expect my kid can have English level as Native Speaker.  In fact, I know a lot of Native Englishmen, their written English are quite terrible!   I am expecting my kid can have better Language level than me, I wonder if my kid is having it know.  All we have to do is to raise the kid and let me being independent and competitive enough to cope with problems.     

There is no point to concentrate on the English policy of RC, as you know, at least 70% of the student will be from local family.  I rarely see a local parents speak English with their kid all the time...so fundamentally, there is difference...

I think the discussion should put more on how RC implement IB, and how this help kids to learn as all-rounder.  I do not mind if someone said RC is just like DGS, or any other elite local schools... the point is whether RC is a school can let our kids grow up as an Elite.  If so, the school is good, how to do it would be another matter and we have to discuss and investigate more.

86#
發表於 09-2-24 15:13 |只看該作者
me too! My son also asked me the same questions after interview.

原帖由 JYFC 於 09-2-8 01:48 發表
Being a potential RC parent, many thanks for all your sharing especially the ones posted by RC parents.

Basically each child is unique. “Elite school A” may be the dream school for everyone, but  ...

87#
發表於 09-2-24 18:22 |只看該作者
Hello: I am the parent who posted this thread at the very beginning. Just would like to update my dear parent friends at BK about my progress. RC has put my child on waiting list not until this Monday Feb 23, they finally gave us a place offer. Therefore, I have already signed up my son at SJS before Feb 23. So, that's it.

Since my major concern is Chinese learning, I should be grateful to all you experienced or RC or non-RC parents to share with me methods of helping our IS children to learn Chinese after-school.

Thank you!

88#
發表於 09-2-24 20:53 |只看該作者
I like the language policy of RC. Because I don't want my child concentrate in English only. I want my child can be native in both English and Chinese.
I really appreciate if my child can use English during class and speak Chinese with friends after school.
It is golden time for children to learn language before age 12. I think most student can master two or more language at the same time.

89#
發表於 09-3-5 21:46 |只看該作者
Agree.  I'm pleased with my son's progress in just 1.5 years.  He can chat at ease with his classmates in English (both Chinese and foreigners) in school and speak fluent Cantonese at home.  And I observe that kids in upper forms speak English at near-native standard.

I think RC is good for those who want to see their kids handle both languages well, instead of becoming so westernized that they refuse to speak in Cantonese, like some in other ESF schools.

原帖由 barque 於 09-2-24 20:53 發表
I like the language policy of RC. Because I don't want my child concentrate in English only. I want my child can be native in both English and Chinese.
I really appreciate if my child can use English ...

90#
發表於 09-3-8 22:04 |只看該作者
Dear RC Parents,
I have few questions:
1) Do your kids enjoy the meals from school?  I have checked the lunch menu but it seems so --international or I should say quite western style!  Any alternative choice?  Packed lunch?
2) How's the school bus service?
3) There's a special event about "bullying", is it a big issue in the school or just a kind of "concern"?
4) Would the school arrange the students from same kindergarten to different classes intentionally?
Thank you very much.

原帖由 Ciz 於 09-3-5 21:46 發表
Agree.  I'm pleased with my son's progress in just 1.5 years.  He can chat at ease with his classmates in English (both Chinese and foreigners) in school and speak fluent Cantonese at home.  And I obs ...

91#
發表於 09-3-9 13:57 |只看該作者
Radiomama,

(1) My kid in primary likes the school menu. The meals are totally balanced diet; that is, in accordance with the Health Department's suggestion of 3+2+1 portion of carbo, veggie and meat; and with the suggested use of cooking material (eg, fewer preserved meat like ham, sausage, and less salt) and cooking method (eg, fewer deep fried food, etc). However, to many people, healthy meals do not mean tasty meals. Because of inidividual family's eating habit, I know that many kids do not like school meal. I have heard parents complaining that their kids are not eating school lunch because the school lunch is not tasty.
There are alternative foods. Sandwiches, pizzas, croisants, etc. Also, I know that a lot of primary kids do have packed lunch.

(2) No idea.

(3) No bullying issues that I know of. The special event about "bullying" is just to educate students about this issue. International schools are mostly more open-minded in these issues and would be willing to talk to students BEFORE things happen.

(4) Not sure, but probably no.

92#
發表於 09-3-9 20:29 |只看該作者
Radiomama

Pls see my input.
I have few questions:
1) Do your kids enjoy the meals from school?  I have checked the lunch menu but it seems so --international or I should say quite western style!
I tried the food in Cafeteria a few times. The taste is ok. However, I heard that some kids eat little at lunch. Maybe they're not used to food other than home food.

Any alternative choice?
for students of higher grades, they can have sandwiches, hotdogs or other things from the cafeteria for lunch. For year 1 & 2, I don't think they can take things other then the lunch menu as they don't have the octopus to buy food & drinks by themselves at the cafeteria.

Packed lunch?
In my son's class, about 1/3 students pack home lunch. They have the lunch at the upper floor of the cafeteria. Some amahs help the students to open the rice containers. If you decide to let your kid pack home lunch, let them practice to open the rice container, water bottle, etc beforehand. Also, encourage your kid to voice out help when they really need help.

2) How's the school bus service?
(a) The bus schedule at RCHK's website is not updated.
(b) sevice is.... acceptable, just ok.

3) There's a special event about "bullying", is it a big issue in the school or just a kind of "concern"?
Bullying is not a big problem.
i think the kids need to learn some social skills to protect themselves, to say 'no' to things/people they don't know or dislike, to care their own stuffs, etc.

4) Would the school arrange the students from same kindergarten to different classes intentionally?
Thank you very much.
no idea.

93#
發表於 09-3-9 21:35 |只看該作者
Thank you very much!

94#
發表於 09-3-10 15:18 |只看該作者

Seminars for internet bullying and internet security

Actually, there were 2 seminars in RC last week to educate parents on the above topics and we found both very useful to protect and educate our kids without discouraging them using the internet properly.

Thanks for the school and teachers organising those seminars. That's one of the reasons why we like the school!

Hopefully, more parents would attend such kind of seminars organized by the school next time. They are useful!

95#
發表於 09-3-17 10:06 |只看該作者
原帖由 acdad 於 09-3-10 15:18 發表
Actually, there were 2 seminars in RC last week to educate parents on the above topics and we found both very useful to protect and educate our kids without discouraging them using the internet proper ...

Good that you went.
I totally forgot about them.

96#
發表於 09-3-17 10:47 |只看該作者

The Pearl Report (00:50 am, March 18)

The programme talks about art of story telling, opera performing..... & how Renaissance College holds the library lessons for Year 3.

There will be a re-run tonight. Don't miss it!

The Pearl Report (00:50 am, March 18)

97#
發表於 09-3-17 10:58 |只看該作者
原帖由 琬晴B 於 09-3-17 10:47 發表
The programme talks about art of story telling, opera performing..... & how Renaissance College holds the library lessons for Year 3.

There will be a re-run tonight. Don't miss it!

The Pearl Report  ...

It is posted on TVB.com already, go to the 2nd tab of the video:

Be A Storyteller:

http://mytv.tvb.com/news/pearlreport/17654

[ 本帖最後由 popolung 於 09-3-17 11:00 編輯 ]

98#
發表於 09-3-23 16:17 |只看該作者
May I know the question of interview ..... in Year 2 or year 3????
Thanks a lot.

原帖由 bigbighei 於 09-2-24 15:13 發表
me too! My son also asked me the same questions after interview.
When the rain is over, the sky clears up take one's course 順其發展;聽其自然

99#
發表於 09-3-23 21:23 |只看該作者
原帖由 KaKaYa 於 09-3-23 16:17 發表
May I know the question of interview ..... in Year 2 or year 3????
Thanks a lot.

See the basic language requirement for all ESF you may have some insight of what they will ask in the interview:

http://www.esf.edu.hk/index.aspx?nodeID=952&langNo=1

Year Two Requirement

In addition to Year One requirement, children seeking entry to Year Two should:-
(Oral Interaction)

• participate in short, structured social interactions (introducing self, giving basic information, asking questions)
  • initiate and maintain general conversation with teachers and peers
  • describe and identify people, places and things using simple vocabulary for colour, size, place, location and time
  • describe a series of events or actions
  • express humour and describe feelings
  • negotiate in a simple way with peers (suggesting, agreeing, disagreeing, clarifying)
  • follow oral instructions
  • comprehend and use basic markers of sequence (first, next, then) and adverbial phrases of place, location and time (over there)
  • use common prepositions (in, at, on, near)
  • regularly use pronouns (I/me, he/him, she/her)
  • use verb and noun endings with some consistency (-ing, -ed, -s)
  • express negation within sentence structure
  • answer questions requiring an explanation using ‘because'
Reading
and Responding

Entrants to Year Two will also be expected to:-
  • join in with shared reading activities responding to simple text aloud
  • sequence a simple story using pictures
  • distinguish Roman from non-Roman script
  • show awareness that reading in English proceeds from left to right and top to bottom
  • know the difference between letters and words
  • relate some letters to the sounds they commonly make (e.g. initial letter of own name)
  • recognise and name the letters of the alphabet
Some children will be able to read familiar and some unfamiliar texts using knowledge of English sounds/symbol relationships and knowledge of basic punctuation

Writing:-
  • combine writing and drawing to create a simple text about a topic, using well-known words or short phrases (e.g. This is my house)
  • shows awareness that English writing consists of words formed by letters
  • leave suitable spaces between words written
  • demonstrate awareness that certain letters represent certain sounds
  • be able to read back what they have written

Year Three Requirement
In addition to Year One-Two requirement, children seeking entry to Year Three should:-
(Oral Interaction)
  • understand teacher questions on familiar topics or themes and respond with phrases or sentences
  • initiate and participate in casual exchanges with English-speaking peers
  • contribute information and express ideas in group tasks
  • sequence information logically for the listener
  • recall and retell what has been read or listened to
  • show awareness of need to make meaning explicit (in information gap activity)
  • answer simple open-ended questions (how and why)
  • consistently use some common irregular past tenses (went, saw, came)
  • use compound sentences (We went on an excursion and it rained and we came back)
  • use subject, object and possessive pronouns with some consistency (I, my, me, mine)
  • use subject specific vocabulary necessary for a familiar topic (e.g. mathematical terms)
Reading
and Responding
:-
  • understand and use some of the terminology of reading (author, title, letter, word, sentence, page)
  • read with understanding short texts based on simple language structures, familiar vocabulary and contexts
  • make predictions about likely events and outcomes when reading or listening to a text read aloud
  • read back own writing
  • demonstrate an understanding of simple punctuation by using appropriate intonation and pausing when reading aloud
  • use some word attack skills to decode (initial, sounds, blends, mid-vowels)
Writing:-
  • can write a simple text based on personal knowledge and experience
  • represent ideas in a sentence
  • write texts showing simple cohesion of ideas, using ‘and' and ‘then'
  • write sentences that use subject-verb-object patterns
  • use common adjectives to describe
  • spell accurately some familiar common words
  • spell some words based on pronunciation
  • use some basic punctuation markers to indicate sentence units

100#
發表於 09-3-24 12:35 |只看該作者
Thank you so much! And any special skill for sharing for 1 time or 2 times interviews for them?Would they only 1 test paper for 45 mins ???Hopefully, have your information.

Have a nice day!
原帖由 popolung 於 09-3-23 21:23 發表

See the basic language requirement for all ESF you may have some insight of what they will ask in the interview:

http://www.esf.edu.hk/index.aspx?nodeID=952&langNo=1

Year Two Requirement

In addit ...
When the rain is over, the sky clears up take one's course 順其發展;聽其自然
‹ 上一主題|下一主題