用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Which primary schools have more western students?
查看: 3879|回覆: 21
go

Which primary schools have more western students?

發表於 04-6-17 00:31 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 04-6-17 19:33 |顯示全部帖子

Re: Which primary schools have more western students?

Kellet School, very few oriental faces.

發表於 04-6-17 20:28 |顯示全部帖子

Hi

Are your kids studying at this school too ?

Why there are more foreigners in western side of Hong Kong ?
I think they are mainly living in mid level or Stanley.

發表於 04-6-18 04:40 |顯示全部帖子

Yes, Kellet, a very british junior school.
Got very few oriental faces.
Btw, people live in mid-levels and south part can also study in there.

發表於 04-6-18 07:43 |顯示全部帖子

Kellet is not under ESF, that's why no school zone restriction.

What about the comparison for the following ESF schools ?

Bauhinia School
Beacon Hill School
Bradbury School
Clearwater Bay School
Glenealy School
Kennedy School
Kowloon Junior School
Peak School
Quarry Bay School
Sha Tin Junior School

發表於 04-6-18 09:49 |顯示全部帖子

Hi Vrindavan,

my girl will go to QBS this coming September. And i believed more than 80% of their students are oriental.

發表於 04-6-18 10:05 |顯示全部帖子

Congrat to your daughter.

I still worry about my son's English standard to pass next year interview.

I like a school with more western /international students.

發表於 04-6-19 03:35 |顯示全部帖子

top three schools with least oriental kids out of your list are:
Kellet
Peak
Glenealy

Not only because fewer orientals apply them but the schools also pick up western kids and kids from overseas first.
That's why there are fewers orientals and chances to get in there are harder.

發表於 04-6-19 10:08 |顯示全部帖子

I visited Kellet and met the principle 2 years ago.   I love the school and the lady. The school doesn't pick any children and it doesn't have any entrance test.  It offers the seat according to the waiting list - first come first served.  But once your kid turn down their offer for 2 times, he/she will not be considered any more.  Besides, every class has 2 places for children not speaking good English.  The principle, Ann (I think it was her name) said they had confidence to help them, but not more than 2 in each class.

German Swiss is another school got lots of westerner children.  Though the school claims the offer is on langage competency, I think "English native speaker" has priority, especially those vacancies coming up in the middle of the year.

The Peak School also has lots of western faces.  The English requirement is more lenient than German Swiss but you must live within their catchment area, strictly speaking, the Peak area.  I know a few kids who has been turned down by German Swiss for "non-native" reason goes to the Peak school later.  The vice-principle was an understanding and excellently kind lady.

You may visit the websites of all these schools and ask for a tour round to compare.

發表於 04-6-19 10:20 |顯示全部帖子

Thanks a lot.
Thus, they are all in HK Island side.

發表於 04-6-19 12:15 |顯示全部帖子

Hello IngridMaMa: may I ask if ESF school teaches students how to write in Chinese, or simply oral Mandarin?
Do you have any tips to share regarding ESF Primary School Interview?
Thanks in advance!

發表於 04-6-19 15:23 |顯示全部帖子

Vrindavan

No offence but I would like to ask you what does it matter if the school has more western kids than oriental kids? I don't know what your main concern is about but there are plenty of oriental kids are native English speakers if an native English speaking environment is what you're after. And according to your post you were worried about your son's English standard might not reach the standard required by the school, chancers are it's more difficult for you son to enter a school which has 'more western kids' anyway.

發表於 04-6-19 20:30 |顯示全部帖子

International school allows a student to meet other students from different nationalities. The student is exposed to different cultures.

If high percentage of students are Chinese. The school become more and more like a local school, but taught in English only.

>>oriental kids are native English speakers

examples ?

>>more difficult for you son to enter a school which has 'more western kids' anyway.

Yes, you are right, but the English standard seems to be a less important factor compare to school zone restriction and tution cost. The tution varies greatly from school to school.

發表於 04-6-19 23:31 |顯示全部帖子

Vrindavan

>>If high percentage of students are Chinese. The school become more and more like a local school, but taught in English only.

I thought what makes international schools  really different from local school is the school curriculum, I don't see how it will become 'more and more like a local school' if the majority of them are oriental apart from the culture wise.

There are plenty of Chinese kids were born and grown up overseas because their parents had immigrated and decided to come back to HK to work and live.

Perhaps one is better to send kids to other countries where the majority are western people who are native English speakers, or even immigrate there so one can have plenty of time to be exposed to different culture.

發表於 04-6-20 07:39 |顯示全部帖子

sorry i miss the curriculum factor.
But you can have one more option now, local private schools.

>>There are plenty of Chinese kids were born and grown up overseas because their parents had immigrated and decided to come back to HK to work and live.

I know, but not sure they can be called native speaker, but i agree, in such case, their English "can be" very close to western kids.

Your last option is best for parents decided to immigrate to other countries.

發表於 04-6-20 16:47 |顯示全部帖子

Vrindavan

>>I know, but not sure they can be called native speaker, but i agree, in such case, their English "can be" very close to western kids.

So you think only "real western people" can speak native English? (Correct me if I got it wrong) May I suggest you to listen to some of the following people's spoken English (if you have a chance), and please kindly tell me whether they speak like native or not.

1)Coco Li
2)Daniel Ng
3)Edison Chan
4)Christy Chung

I'm sure your spoken and written English must be very "native" by your comment above, at least more native than people who were born and grown up in an English speaking environment. Bless you.

發表於 04-6-20 19:15 |顯示全部帖子

ShallowHal

I think you have go far off from the original discussion, the topic is ? do not agree ?

>>So you think only "real western people" can speak native English?

If you understand what i said,
I never said what you are saying.

I am just questioning what is the definition of a " native speaker ". But you seems want to argue with me. If this is your intention, i want to put a stop here. I do not like arguing.

I can make mistake all the time,
but i like peaceful discussion.

>> some of the following people's spoken English (if you have a chance), and please kindly tell me whether they speak like native or not.

How old are such guys, 5 years old kids ?

發表於 04-6-20 20:09 |顯示全部帖子

I never intend to argue with anyone, it's a free country and everyone has their rights to express their opinion on anything as long as it's not offensive.

So tell me how do you define an native English speaker? Maybe I got it wrong but you gave me the impression that you think as long as they are not what you called "western", even if they were born or grown up in an English speaking country, they are still not native English speakers.

Again, I think you underestimate the learing ability of children. If a kid (say a Chinese kid who speaks Cantonese at home) was to be put in an environment which English is spoken most of the time since s/he was born, odds are s/he will speak perfect, native English. Take a look around you, have you ever comeacross a 5-year-old kid that doesn't speak native Cantonese expect that they have learning difficulties or their first language is not Cantonese in HK?

Cheers.

發表於 04-6-20 20:42 |顯示全部帖子

>>Maybe I got it wrong but you gave me the impression

it is just the impression

發表於 04-6-21 09:32 |顯示全部帖子

Dear gab,

Sorry for the late reply.

All ESF schools teach Chinese. They are teaching kids how to speak Mandarin and to write simplifed chinese.

To be honest, i don't have any preparation for the school interview.  The only thing i did:-

I had a 10 mins talk to her just before we go ahead to the school. I explained to her what's going on, why she went for the interview and the important part was to let her know it is an english school and she has to speak english. That's it all about!