密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 海外留學 澳洲Sydney的小學
樓主: vanessamom
go

澳洲Sydney的小學 [複製鏈接]

41#
發表於 08-5-25 10:29 |只看該作者
我剛從MEL回來,看過一些小學, 他們的教學方法同香港完全不同,小學低年班不用書,每天只是玩,做手工,去動物園,公園等,有些學校有少許普通話班,但太早去澳洲讀書,我怕他們將來不懂看中文.
其實澳洲的家長同香港的家長都有想子女讀名校的想法,是因為某某名人的子弟在那所學校讀過,那就是名校,大概你可看學費貴的就是名校.

42#
發表於 08-5-25 21:00 |只看該作者
I personally like Kogarah, quite nice area.  It is one of the suburbs my partner and I are thinking to move to later this year.

原文章由 EliasDaddy 於 08-5-19 22:18 發表

Hi!

I am also migrating to Sydney Sept 08. I will go there to look for a job and prepare everything before my wife and son to come. My son is P.3 in HK.
Does anyone know a place called "Ko ...

43#
發表於 08-5-29 18:35 |只看該作者
Thanks! Mrs. Kangaroo,
Is it easy to find a flat in Kogarah? Do you know the rent now? How about primary school for 9 years old (July 08)?

44#
發表於 08-6-4 14:07 |只看該作者

回覆 #1 EliasDaddy 的文章

Dear Eliasdaddy,

If you would like to know the rent of a place, you may try to look at the website as following: http://realestate.com.au  . then you type in the name of the city, you will see the properties in that area. By the way, my son is also in Primary 3 in HK, he will study in Primary 4 last term in Australia which starts in the end of July. He will study in Beecroft Primary School there.

Have a smooth move!

Bigbigmother

45#
發表於 08-6-4 14:12 |只看該作者

回覆 #5 ttmum000 的文章

Dear ttmum000,

you can buy the school uniform in the school. however for the school bag you can bring from HK. Me too!  In addition, as I know how the uniform of my son look like, so I buy them from Hong Kong too!

Bigbigmother

46#
發表於 08-6-11 01:49 |只看該作者
Bigbigmother

Thanks! I think I will bring socks, black & white shoes and the school bag.

原文章由 bigbigmother 於 08-6-4 14:12 發表
Dear ttmum000,

you can buy the school uniform in the school. however for the school bag you can bring from HK. Me too!  In addition, as I know how the uniform of my son look like, so I buy them from  ...

47#
發表於 08-6-16 15:40 |只看該作者
Thank you Szebaba for referring me to this forum (8 May 08). (This is my first time posting a message in this forum. I found  that some words are connected together when I previewed the passage. I hope it will be fine when it is published and you will not have much difficulties in reading it.  Sorry!)

I have been in Sydney for 6 years – not too long indeed. I am more thanhappy to share my experience with the parents here and hope the informationprovided below will be of help to you.

(1) Primary education here is free of pressure andfull of fun. For public schools, it doesn’t really make big difference to which schools to be attended. Once you live in the “boundary” of a school, the schoolis bound to take your kids no matter how full they are. That’s why some parentspurposely move to those “good” areas in order to go into the “good” schools.Those good areas are normally the higher income areas. I am more familiar withthe Hills District, North-West part of Sydney. This is the area I settled since moving to Sydney partly because of the “good schools” around.

(2) When we say a public primary school is good, itis normally is determined by words of mouth, the availability of “outstanding class” (OC) in year 5 and entry rate to “selective high school”. Students haveto take highly competitive examinations in order to get into OC and SelectiveHigh. The main objective of these examinations are to identify those gifted andtalented kids and provide them different curriculum (or higher level work) inorder to further bring their potentials out.
They are on voluntarily basis. Most of parents here (I mean the Aussie parents) actually are not care about these examinations and their children willjust move up from the main stream / public schools.

Kids takingthese examinations are largely from Asian (particularly Chinese & Indian)families and they usually take a lot of after-school tuition classes in orderto prepare for those examinations. If you stay closer to Chinese communitieshere, you will feel the same “pressure” like that in HK – my kids should go tocoaching schools. It will be too much if I go on to explain. Afterall, yourkids are still young and you still have plenty of time to understand theeducation system here.

(3) For private schools, they are broadly dividedinto Christian/Catholic schools and other non-religious ones. School tuitionfees range from A$2,500 to A$20,000, not including uniform, excursion, specialevents etc. People like to send the kids to these schools mainly because oftheir reputation of strict disciple and better school resources (of course youpay them). Some private schools also perform very well in academic area. Theyhave a higher level of demand on students’ academic performance and school tests/examinationsare round the year even at primary grades. You don’t need to be aChristian/Catholic in order to get into these religious private schools as mostof them will reserve a certain quota for non-Christian families. However,without doubt, you will have much higher chance if you are of the samereligious background as the school.

(4) For non-English speaking background students,schools provide “English as Second Language” (ESL) program for students whose Englishlevel is not adequate to catch up in the class. Some schools run ESL atkindergarten but some provide the program for year 1 and above students.
While teachers will tell you whether you kidsare required to be put into ESL program, I would suggest you to keep closecontact with the class teachers (don’t be afraid to ask) about your kids’performance and request for ESL program if you notice that your kids arestruggling hard with English.

(5) Our kids come from a Chinese background, wherelanguage is captured by depending on cues, recall, and memory dependentassociations. Learning to read English, however, is very different.Essentially, it is about processing sequence of sound and letters.
We reckon that some kids do need extra helpin learning English from outside schools. The English learning centers, named“I Can Read”,
I am working at provideprograms on reading, writing, oral presentation etc. They are developed by 2Australian Education Psychologists, approved by the Ministry of Education in
Singapore and taught in 7 countries. The programs are not onlyfor non-English speaking students. Actually, at the I Can Read centers in Sydney , a lot of students come from Aussie families, whosefirst language is English. Most of them do not have learning difficulties butfor various reasons are behind the required standard at schools. I witnessedthe great improvement these kids have made after learning with the programmes.If you wish to have more information about the I Can Read, please see www.icanreadsystem.com .

That’s all the information I can think of at thismoment. Please feel free to ask if you need further information on the above. I will tell you as much as I know.

48#
發表於 08-6-20 09:27 |只看該作者

回覆 #47 Elise@Sydney 的文章

Thanks very much Elise. The info are really helpful to us.

Do all the public schools have the OC? Do kids take the OC exams in year 4? Once kids entered in OC, does it means for both year 5 & 6?

How old are your kids? In primary school around the Hills District? So where do you live?

49#
發表於 08-6-25 15:45 |只看該作者
Hi F Forest,

Not all public schools have OC. This webpage give full info on OC at NSW  http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/le ... nts/ocplacement.php

OC is a 2-year programme for year 5 & 6. To get into OC, the kids have to take an OC placement test which are open toYear 4 students. Schools will announce, normally in May, when applications for OC test are invited. The test will take place in Juy and result will come out in November. This is a very competitive exercise. Apart from test results, academic performance and schools' recommendations are also taken into account. It is always said that the OC placement test is very difficult. A lot of coaching schools out there provide programmes/trial tests of OC and a lot of non-English speaking kids are sent there in order to prepare for the OC test. 2007 OC placement result showed that 42% of students accepted for OC were from non-English speaking background.

I have 3 kids of age 15, 12 and 7. We live in Baulkham Hills and my kids all go to Crestwood schools. Crestwood Public School is quite a good primary school though it doesn't have OC. Crestwood High School is not too bad though quite some parents from Crestwood primary will put their kids in private high schools.

In my area, Matthew Pearce Pub School (just a few minutes from Crestwood) has OC. It is a big size school with nearly 900 students (Crestwood has about 600 students). Not surprisingly, from what I have said above, you will see a lot of Asian faces in this school.

Feel free to write to me if you have any more questions.

50#
發表於 08-8-28 22:32 |只看該作者
原帖由 sbandliz 於 08-4-26 01:31 發表
It is hard to say which school is best unless you talk to other Mums in the area and visit each school individually.

For selective high school - kids will sit for a special test during March in Year ...

Hello Sbandliz,

你好!我一家移民到Sydney大約幾個月,而家住在Ryde,想請問Ryde附近有無边幾間比較出名嘅小學,我個仔而家兩歲,只係喺度番Gymbaroo的playgroup,對依度小學嘅認識真係好小,边間好校風都唔知,我淨係知派边間小學係睇你住边區,如果我想揀一個比較多好學校的區份住,方便日後阿仔入小學,想請問有边啲區份好住呢?

多謝你回覆!

51#
發表於 08-9-1 15:21 |只看該作者
原帖由 Peninsula 於 08-8-28 22:32 發表
Hello Sbandliz,
你好!我一家移民到Sydney大約幾個月,而家住在Ryde,想請問Ryde附近有無边幾間比較出名嘅小學,我個仔而家兩歲,只係喺度番Gymbaroo的playgroup,對依度小學嘅認識真係好小,边間好校風都唔知,我淨係知 ...

Hello,

Try asking at: 澳洲媽媽會
http://forum.baby-kingdom.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=133
There are a couple of mums who is living in Eastwood / Epping / Carlingford.

My kids goes to Denistone East, and I have friends who have kids at St Kevin, St Michael, Ermington, and Melrose Park. They are all happy with their school. Though I have observed that Chinese & Korean parents tend to like Eastwood Public School & Denistone East Public School. Also, another mum in BK has choosen Beecroft Public School.

I hadn't heard anything bad about any of the schools above.

Hope this helps.

sbandliz

52#
發表於 08-9-1 20:42 |只看該作者
Hello sbandliz,

Thanks for spending time to reply my mail, I will try to search for those schools later on, or I may ring those schools and schedule for a school tour.

Thanks for the link(澳洲媽媽會) that you have sent me, it is very useful...I have already post one question there regarding about the school.

Do you enjoy living here in Sydney? For me, I am quite enjoy living here, but one thing bothers me .....is hard to get a full time maid...unlike in HK, always have a 24hours stand by which make things much easier!
I think here to hire a maid way too expensive, luckily I have my mother-in-law, father-in-law and my husband to help.
When my son first came here he was 14months old, that was the first time I took care of him by myself without the maid...I felt very challenging at that time coz I guess I didn't know how to manage the daily routine, didn't get enough rest, didn't even know how to ask for help! I was very depressed at that time.

When my son grow older (new montn 2yr old),I feel better coz he is easier to manage, actually my son is in HK at the moment, I will bring him back to Sydney in mid Nov, I will try to put him in day care so that I can squeeze some free time out. He is a shy boy(好痴身), like a piece of sticky rice!
Putting him in day care, I hope this will make him to be a bit more independant.

Nice to chat with you! Keep in Touch!

:)

原帖由 sbandliz 於 08-9-1 15:21 發表

Hello,

Try asking at: 澳洲媽媽會
http://forum.baby-kingdom.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=133
There are a couple of mums who is living in Eastwood / Epping / Carlingford.

My kids goes to Denistone Ea ...

[ 本帖最後由 Peninsula 於 08-9-1 20:44 編輯 ]
‹ 上一主題|下一主題