用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 特殊教育 any sharings about the effectiveness of sensory inte ...
查看: 3035|回覆: 24
go

any sharings about the effectiveness of sensory integration [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 04-11-24 15:36 |只看該作者

any sharings about the effectiveness of sensory integration

Many people highly recommend s.i. to less able children.  It seems to be a panacea.  Because of this, my son has started group s.i. training for 3 weeks.  He is more confident of himself now as he can manage all the tasks assigned by the o.t. during the training.  The o.t. comments that my son has weak hand-eye co-ordinaiton, mild attention deficit and slightly under-responsive (i.e. may smell and touch objects that he first encounters).  I don't find any remarkable improvement in his weak areas so far.  Does anyone here experience any marked improvement?
我們怕孩子的人生路途滿佈荊棘,與其為孩子在路上舖一層地毯,不如在孩子的腳上穿上一雙鞋。

2#
發表於 04-11-25 00:36 |只看該作者

Re: any sharings about the effectiveness of sensory integration

may I know which organisation's OT service you are receiving?

my son is in SI course offered by Ms. Chung (partner of Dr Law?). Ms. Chung learnt SI from Taiwan. Taiwan type of SI, as far as I know, is quite different from HK type.

My son is learning brain gym there, and he practise every day. He know how to spell his English name now, which he can't before. God know it is conincidence or not.

3#
發表於 04-11-25 07:40 |只看該作者

Dear ALAL,
My son joins individual o.t. with s.i. from Heep Hong and group s.i. from a private organisation in Mong Kok.  The o.t.s there learnt the concept of s.i. from U.S.A. and H.K. Polytechnic University respectively.  Although Ms Chung learnt s.i. in Taiwan, it may also borrow the knowledge from U.S.A. as the founder of s.i. was in U.S.A.  

BTW, I have attended the seminar of Miss Chung.  Just want to know the quality of service there..... The centre is so close to my home; it may be much convenient for me to go there.

4#
發表於 04-11-25 10:27 |只看該作者

May be we should swap because I live near Mongkok. Can you tell me the information of your group OT in Mongkok? How is it?

Ms Chung is quite good. But don't expect very decent place. Her office and place is very old. Her training is so far, to me, quite satisfactory. My only concern is problem of safety because they requrie kids to do exercises for hundreds times. And her place is small and crowdy but many children play, say, small cart in slide together. So I just go there once a week. Some go there twice or thrice a week.

You can go and see their lesson. I will be there today at 4:45pm.

And you have any information of Ann Chan in Wanchai, whose lesson is $700 per hour.

5#
發表於 04-11-25 13:00 |只看該作者

我仔仔而家在早期上OT其中會有感統訓練.之前俾錢o係協康同九龍醫院上OT都有感統訓練.仔仔做之前完全唔會打千秋,訓練後而家已經可以打千秋,重會要求玩搖搖嘅機動遊戲,都有幾大進步.
每個小孩都是上帝用來提醒我們,這世間還有希望。——泰戈爾

6#
發表於 04-11-25 13:33 |只看該作者

The o.t. of Heep Hong comments that my son cannot play swing with quick pace as he will get very very 'high'.  He can just play with regular and slow speed.  

7#
發表於 04-11-25 13:44 |只看該作者

The Mongkok centre is also quite small.  Therefore, it cannot accommodate more than 4 children in one group.  In addition, the o.t. is a fresh graduate.  She is not well experienced enough to assess my child's problem (as his problem is a  bit marginal.  It is not easy to make correct judgement).

For Ann Chan's class, she may not be the one to teach our kids.  Some assistants, instead of o.t., will train the children.  Personally, I don't like this way of training.  

Up till now, I think that Heep Hong is the best choice when considering the experience and qualification of the trainer (qualified o.t.), learning environment, equipment and price (HK$500 @ hr).  However, the waiting time is quite long (I have waited for half a year to get the service).

8#
發表於 04-11-25 14:32 |只看該作者

My son was trained by Ann Chan in the '90s.  In fact, my son is one of the earliest group of her trainers when she started the business in 1994.  At that time she herself conducted the training.  I think Ann Chan is the introducer of si in Hong Kong.  The quality is good if the training is conducted by her.  But I know 助展會 is becoming very commercial in recent years and some of her assistants are not  experienced.  The training is basically swing and slide.  I can't tell whether there is any immediate effect on my son.  However, my son's development is steady and progressing throughout the years.  His non-verbal IQ rises from marginal MR to normal.  Whether or not this is the help of si training I can't tell, but I just want to do every possible means to help him.  Besides, there was not much training provided in the market in the 90's.

9#
發表於 04-11-25 14:55 |只看該作者

我曾經上協康主辦的感統課程,可以只參加理論講,或詳盡一點的實習課程.可以知多d,問多d.突破有出版一本有關感統嘅書名為"小孩不笨",可以參考.
每個小孩都是上帝用來提醒我們,這世間還有希望。——泰戈爾

10#
發表於 04-11-25 18:36 |只看該作者

Many s.i. books mention that regular training can improve attention span, temper tantrum, writing disorder, dyslexia, speech delay, ......  The golden age of training is 2 to 6.  It seems to be a panacea that non of us dare to miss.  I am working on it and wish great progress in the foreseeable future.

11#
發表於 04-11-26 11:52 |只看該作者

思佳媽咪﹐
I once found a tape recording speech of Ann Chan on teaching English. Her opinion is very good.

Any mum whose kids receving training in Ann Chan's place pl advsie

Mrs Cheung,

Are your kid receining training in 麗斯大夏﹖

And any mum has experience in a place for SI training in 洗衣街?

12#
發表於 04-11-26 12:44 |只看該作者

Dear ALAL,
Yes.

13#
發表於 04-12-2 10:19 |只看該作者

deleted

14#
發表於 04-12-2 10:51 |只看該作者

mrsphcheung,

I need your advice again.  Which centre offers good SI training?  Please let me know.  Many thanks.

ClaudeeMa

15#
發表於 04-12-2 11:23 |只看該作者

I am also looking for the best s.i. centre.  So far, I have tried Heep Hong, a private centre in Mongkok and will try another one in North Point which applies Taiwan way of s.i.  I think the choice is affected by various factors e.g. location, time, price and quality of trainer,...etc.  My son has tried s.i. just for several weeks and I can't see any obvious changes.  

16#
發表於 04-12-2 12:13 |只看該作者

Mrs. Cheung
I've visited the centre in Mongkok, actually the centre can accomodate only 4 child in one group. However, there are 2-3 staff (Occupational therapist + Psychotherapist + Assistant) to serve our child which is better than other centre. I don't think the OT is fresh graduate. She was experienced and able to find out the problem quickly. Is your son's problem not obvious or no problem at all!

17#
發表於 04-12-2 13:16 |只看該作者

Dear AprilCL,
My son's o.t. is  Ms. C.  I think that she is quite fresh when comparing with Ms Chung from North Point centre.  My son always smells things that he first encounters and touches things when he feels boring.  This is s.i. problem --- under-responsive.

18#
發表於 04-12-2 15:37 |只看該作者

Hi mrsphcheung and AprilCL,

Are you both referring to the centre "www.arlen.hk" ?  I also plan to let my son try their service.  

My son is a delayed child and one of the problems he has is he likes to put things in mouth to taste it, or bite.  I'm not so sure should this be classified as OT's field or not.  Will the SI training be helpful?

19#
發表於 04-12-2 23:44 |只看該作者

ALAL,

Do you mean the Ann Chan, i.e. OT of 助展會?  But I don't know she will teach English?

If this is the Ann Chan you mean, my son is receiving training in her centre.  She no longer  provides training herself.  She simply supervises the training. However, it is no doubt that she is very experience and helpful.

[quote]
ALAL 寫道:
I once found a tape recording speech of Ann Chan on teaching English. Her opinion is very good.

Any mum whose kids receving training in Ann Chan's place pl advsie

20#
發表於 04-12-3 12:29 |只看該作者

Dear ClaudeeMa,

Yes, is this website. All the staff (except from receptionist) are HK registered occupational therapist and UK registered psychotherapist. So I felt confident for their services
‹ 上一主題|下一主題