教育王國

標題: I want my child to goto CIS / HKIS / GSIS [打印本頁]

作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-2 18:23     標題: I want my child to goto CIS / HKIS / GSIS

本帖最後由 gweiloproblems 於 23-8-30 12:07 編輯

Hi!

We have recently moved to Hong Kong 3 years back and have decided to call Hong Kong our family's permanent home.

This forum has been extremely useful and I have been browsing these forums to understand how I can get the best education possible for my 3 year old daughter. After much research, our family has settled on 3 of our top choices being CIS / HKIS / GSIS with CDNIS and KJS as backups.

We are FP holders and been fortunate enough to have the company I work for subsidize any school fees. She is currently attending Anfield KG as it is completely in English medium and located close to our home in Ho Man Tin.

Would you have any advice on what I should do to provide the best possible chance for her to go to these 3 choice schools. Whether it going to a particular Kindergarten, or joining supplementary PTH classes, or just general advice in developing her social skills and self confidence.

Advice I have received so far from my work colleagues is to send her to a bilingual international KG such as CWB Vic or IMS with some PTH classes on the side.

Any information would be greatly appreciated Thank you so much in advance :)

作者: Goodluck2022    時間: 23-6-2 20:57

回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

What kind of FP ?
作者: simonchan1986    時間: 23-6-2 21:13

HKIS is your best bet due to the large number of seats available @ R1. I think they like talkative and outgoing kids.
作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-2 21:42

本帖最後由 gweiloproblems 於 23-8-30 11:45 編輯
Goodluck2022 posted on 23-6-2 20:57
in reply to gweiloproblems' post

What kind of FP?

(Answer removed due to privacy concerns)  :)
作者: Adiezz    時間: 23-6-2 21:52     標題: 回覆樓主:

本帖最後由 Adiezz 於 23-6-2 21:57 編輯

If you are not in the priority groups, getting a CIS Reception offer is almost impossible, and it is very difficult for GSIS K1 too. Their seats are so limited,,,but it is still worth to try if they are your top priority.

作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-2 21:58

simonchan1986 發表於 23-6-2 21:13
HKIS is your best bet due to the large number of seats available @ R1. I think they like talkative a ...
Oh Great thanks. Is there anything I can do as a parent to improve my chances for HKIS and the other 2. It seems like there are certain pre nursery/ KGs with bilingual programmes that supposed to help?
作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-2 22:03

Adiezz 發表於 23-6-2 21:52
If you are not in the priority groups, getting a CIS Reception offer is almost impossible, and it is ...
I see. It seems what you are saying that there isn't much we can do as parents and just the difficulty is just too great.
I live close to kindergartens like dibber and anfield. International Montessori and Victoria is further. I suppose trying to aim for better KGs and travelling more won't be much point.

作者: simonchan1986    時間: 23-6-2 22:04

I am not sure any KG will help for these 3...As far as I know none of the 3 has any associations with other KGs.
I don't know about GSIS/CIS, but for HKIS, try to spend more time with your kid to make them more talkative and outgoing (e.g. bring them out to play with other kids more). If you can, talk to them in English alone (provided that you don't mind them not able to speak your mother tongue/your spouse can speak the mother tongue with them).

作者: Goodluck2022    時間: 23-6-3 08:44

回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

Are you Chinese ? Is your wife Chinese. ?
How did you manage to find this group ?

作者: Adiezz    時間: 23-6-3 09:42

gweiloproblems 發表於 23-6-2 22:03
I see. It seems what you are saying that there isn't much we can do as parents and just the difficul ...

Victoria may be helpful as it has a track record of placing students into CIS and HKIS. However, enrolling your children in an international kindergarten can ensure that their English language skills are native enough and develop the characteristics that IS prefers

I think HKIS is relatively easier comparing to another two, as my kid’s classmates who go to HKIS are not in priority group, only has FP.

作者: Goodluck2022    時間: 23-6-3 09:48

回覆 Adiezz 的帖子

Can a kid with FP but bad English enters K1 in ESF ?
作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-3 10:35

本帖最後由 gweiloproblems 於 23-6-6 10:46 編輯
simonchan1986 發表於 23-6-2 22:04
I am not sure any KG will help for these 3...As far as I know none of the 3 has any associations wit ...

Thanks for this advice.

My kid does very well in front me and able to recite a lot of nursery rhymes but gets extremely shy when with strangers. Definitely something I'm going to need to work on :)

作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-3 10:39

Goodluck2022 發表於 23-6-3 08:44
回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

Are you Chinese ? Is your wife Chinese. ?
No we are both expats who have just moved here. Do not know how to speak any Chinese.
I found your forum from Google. This one seems far more active then geoexpat and geobaby. I think local HK parents are extremely invested in getting their kids the best education possible just like me :)

Do you think teaching her a little bit of PTH will help my chances to get into CIS? I know the other two don't have any PTH requirements for sure

作者: 964000    時間: 23-6-3 10:41     標題: 回覆樓主:

本帖最後由 964000 於 23-6-3 10:49 編輯

Mandarin helps in getting into CIS

作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-3 10:44

本帖最後由 gweiloproblems 於 23-8-30 11:47 編輯
Adiezz 發表於 23-6-3 09:42
Victoria may be helpful as it has a track record of placing students into CIS and HKIS. However, en ...

Can I continue her education at Anfield? It is right opposite our house and we don't have to take too much time off work to make it possible.
They have good English and foreign teachers but it does not have any written track record for sending to good schools. It also has no bilingual programmes and everything is conducted in English only.

My work colleagues told me to start doing as much as possible now but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do hahaha.

作者: Goodluck2022    時間: 23-6-3 10:54

回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

that will be perfect. So are you an african
It will be awesome. Having FP already gives you an edge.

Doing it more will give local parents a lot of pressure.

Your kid is brilliant.

作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-3 11:11

964000 發表於 23-6-3 10:41
Mandarin helps in getting into CIS
Do kindergarten brands matter or can I teach my child little bit of PTH using flash cards at home?
作者: kooliestgirl    時間: 23-6-3 11:22

gweiloproblems 發表於 23-6-3 10:39
No we are both expats who have just moved here. Do not know how to speak any Chinese.
I found your  ...

with a fp+ completely foreigner looking already give your child A great chance to get in any international school..

good luck

作者: bigheadshrimp    時間: 23-6-3 12:14     標題: 回覆樓主:

本帖最後由 bigheadshrimp 於 23-6-3 14:18 編輯

CIS, HKIS and GSIS are all great schools, but they are very different. CIS splits time between Chinese and English equally in primary, and IB program begins in secondary. HKIS follows the American curriculum, and students can start taking AP classes in Grade 10. I hear their Chinese program has become stronger over the years, but it’s nowhere near the level in CIS. GSIS is a very small school. There are only 40 spots in kindy and 52 in primary. While there is some Chinese exposure in kindy, there are no formal Chinese classes between Y1-Y3, and all students are required to start learning German in Y2. The school follows a modified British curriculum until it switches over to IBDP in Y12.

You may want to consider which path you want your child take before deciding on a school. Also, aside from thinking about which kindy to send your child, it’s important to arrange school tours to get a feel of the cultures of the schools. It’s not enough to just go by the schools’ reputations. Your child won’t be happy if the school isn’t the right fit.

I don’t think international schools really care about which kindy your child goes to, as long as s/he can communicate well in native level English. (If you are still targeting CIS, mandarin is a big plus, as mentioned in an earlier post.) Being a friendly and outgoing child with good self-care skills will always help.

作者: Goodluck2022    時間: 23-6-3 12:17

Its better to apply for n or k1 class.
作者: Adiezz    時間: 23-6-3 14:14

gweiloproblems 發表於 23-6-3 10:44
Can I continue her education at Dibber Intl Kindergarten? It is right opposite our house and we don' ...

The Chinese curriculum at Victoria could be challenging for your child. Also I don't think the brand of a kindergarten has a significant impact on the top IS admission.
If the current kindergarten is good and convenient, it's fine to stay. You need to consider arranging extra Mandarin classes to give your child a better foundation.

You can also consider Kellett, CNDIS, ESF, FIS etc. as the alternative. They are all popular and there are number of their students later will transfer to CIS, GSIS and HKIS.

作者: Goodluck2022    時間: 23-6-3 16:08

With FP, you can go everywhere.
作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-3 17:12

bigheadshrimp 發表於 23-6-3 12:14
CIS, HKIS and GSIS are all great schools, but they are very different. CIS splits time between Chine ...
I understand thank you. I did not know Gsis German was compulsory. It seems I need more research before deciding on my top choices.
Appreciate you input about the kindergarten:)

作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-3 17:21

本帖最後由 gweiloproblems 於 23-8-30 11:54 編輯
Adiezz Posted on 23-6-3 14:14
The Chinese curriculum at Victoria could be challenging for your child. Also I don't think the bran ...

Ah ok this makes sense. I'll keep that in mind. I've bought some flash cards in PTH so I can supplement as much as possible. I guess you are right I have to consider other options as well as my choices might be too much of a reach.

作者: Goodluck2022    時間: 23-6-3 19:20

回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

Where is SIS ?
作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-3 19:25

Goodluck2022 發表於 23-6-3 19:20
回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

Where is SIS ?
Singapore International School - I think its near CDNIS
作者: Youweird    時間: 23-6-3 20:03

Since you are an African, why you are so interested inCIs where Chinese is an entrance requirement obviously.

And I am also very curious you take these 3 schools as target? For the better university placement?
作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-3 20:56

本帖最後由 gweiloproblems 於 23-6-5 10:36 編輯
Youweird 發表於 23-6-3 20:03
Since you are an African, why you are so interested inCIs where Chinese is an entrance requirement o ...

I'm sorry Id like to clarify, even though Mauritius is in the African continent but it's made of brown and white people who have been there for generations.

Regardless, I do find Chinese important as we plan to call Hong Kong home and it is a great skill to have.

The target schools are specifically chosen based on what I have been recommended to aim for if your company can cover some of the costs. University placements are very important too :)

作者: Goodluck2022    時間: 23-6-3 21:53

回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

Ok are you saying you are actually white ?
Thats awesome. Your chance is high. Its even better that you are observant about the importance of chinese

作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-3 21:59

本帖最後由 gweiloproblems 於 23-8-30 11:49 編輯
Goodluck2022 Published on 23-6-3 21:53

Ok are you saying you are actually white ?

No I'm actually mixed colour haha
作者: kooliestgirl    時間: 23-6-3 22:34

gweiloproblems 發表於 23-6-3 21:59
No I'm actually brown haha. We are 3rd generation Mauritians.

I don't think the race is a matter as long as your kid doesn't look like a Chinese. He/She will have a higher chance. Most international would like to have more non local students to make the school more international..

作者: Goodluck2022    時間: 23-6-3 22:50

回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

brown is close to yellow! You have a huge advantage !!
What do u do for living ?

I seldom hear africans working in HK. Thanks.

作者: Erminator    時間: 23-6-4 06:58

gweiloproblems 發表於 23-6-3 10:39
I found your  ...
I have friends who also hold Mauritius passport, but he is a local, so when I initially read your post, I doubt if you are similar.  But since you are a real expat (non-Chinese origin), you are having better chance to get into these schools.
For CIS, I hear they split into three group of applicants and you should belong to the minority FP group.  I know a friend whose child is mixed and has a Holland or Belgium passport.  She sent her child to Victoria and got into CIS.  

作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-4 17:25

Erminator 發表於 23-6-4 06:58
I have friends who also hold Mauritius passport, but he is a local, so when I initially read your po ...
This is great news thank you 😁
If I can try help out her education at home. Do you think Victoria will give me an edge. I understand the level of PTH might be higher than what my home car offer but we are willing to work with her to make sure she isn't falling behind

作者: Erminator    時間: 23-6-4 20:09

gweiloproblems 發表於 23-6-4 17:25
If I can try help out her education at home. Do you think Vic ...
For your case, if you really aim at CIS, you should enroll your kid into a bilingual kindergarten and also private PTH class at home or anywhere.  This will not only help brushing up the language but also show your strong commitment to learning Chinese in front of the school.  You don’t really need to go to Victoria as CIS won’t bother much, but you need to ensure that kindergarten is a true bilingual one instead of those offering English with PTH teaching.  

作者: Goodluck2022    時間: 23-6-4 20:20

回覆 Erminator 的帖子

Do u refer to ESF ?
作者: Goodluck2022    時間: 23-6-4 20:21

回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

I am amazed by your effort to ensure the kids success.
Foreigners are usually pretty laid back.

You are very different.

May I know why ?

作者: Adiezz    時間: 23-6-4 22:12

gweiloproblems 發表於 23-6-4 17:25
If I can try help out her education at home. Do you think Vic ...

本帖最後由 Adiezz 於 23-6-4 22:16 編輯

本帖最後由 Adiezz 於 23-6-4 22:13 編輯

If you are expat, Victoria may not be the best choice. Victoria is a “local” school that running an IB program, it provides very good bilingual environment, and most of the student are native or fluent in either English or putonghua. However the student mix are not very diverse comparing to IS. Also, it’s curriculum is more “academic” than IS, some foreign parents have transferred their kids to IS due to the “heavy” homework load at Victoria.

You can consider CNDIS K. Their program is bilingual and may fit your needs

Additionally, I suggest you to find a private tutor or send your kid to a putonghua centre, it is more effective and she can get used to communicating with Chinese.

作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-5 10:18

Goodluck2022 posted on 23-6-4 20:21

I am amazed by your effort to ensure the kids success.

Haha thank you. But I assure you all the expats around me are as worried about their kids as much or more as anyone else in HK or at least me. I have referred them to this forum so I hope you don't mind seeing a few more expats in these forums :)

作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-5 10:24

Goodluck2022 Posted on 23-6-4 20:20
Reply to Erminator's post

Do u refer to ESF ?
I have considered ESF. But I have also heard it isn't easy to get into.

The closest ESF to me is KJS/KGV and I heard they are the most sought after in ESF schools. I only want ESF if she gets in here . Otherwise there seems to be many choices that would be considered as good.

With School Zoning removed, I have been told it is going to be even harder to get into KJS/KGV
作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-5 10:27

kooliestgirl 發表於 23-6-3 22:34
I don't think the race is a matter as long as your kid doesn't look like a Chinese. He/She will hav ...
Thanks. I had no idea how we look will matter and thought only FP is a requirement due to it being set be EDB.
作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-5 10:34

Adiezz 發表於 23-6-4 22:12
本帖最後由 Adiezz 於 23-6-4 22:16 編輯

Thank you so much, this helps.

I think the general consensus in this group is that VEO is not right for me as I might but her into too much pressure competing with children who have Cantonese/ Mandarin speaking parents at home.

I have already applied for CDNIS as the applications are by birth. If in 2025 I do not get accepted in GSIS I will probably send them to CDNIS as I have heard from my colleagues that is also an amazing school.

Hopefully I will get an offer from CIS (It is much closer to me as well) in 2026 and can transfer there.

I will take you advice for sending my child to a PTH center. I think it will be the best idea for her applications + general child development.
作者: ribenaberry    時間: 23-6-5 10:44

本帖最後由 ribenaberry 於 23-11-14 09:37 編輯

回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-5 10:47

Erminator 發表於 23-6-4 20:09
For your case, if you really aim at CIS, you should enroll your kid into a bilingual kindergarten an ...
Would you be aware of any good bilingual kindergarten that will help push her application in my choice primary schools?

I was only aware of VEO (Victoria) as being bilingual, but the group collectively feels like it is not a good option.

I went to the tour of International Montessori School N and KG and they say they are bilingual but it seems like an afterthought and I do not think they will learn much PTH at all.

I checked out St. Catherine International Pre- Nursery as well and even though it is a highly ranked school, there was not a single FP or Non-Chinese in the classes!

PTH classes I will definitely sign up for my whole family :)
作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-5 10:59

本帖最後由 gweiloproblems 於 23-6-5 11:08 編輯
ribenaberry 發表於 23-6-5 10:44
回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

You will have a better chance at a place at KJS than CIS considering you ...

Brilliant thanks! The applications for ESF start only a year before entry and I will definitely apply
作者: tinatsui2019    時間: 23-6-5 16:14

本帖最後由 tinatsui2019 於 23-6-5 16:17 編輯

回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

If you want  your kid to have a good mandarin background, you may try the N class in Kiangsu & Chekiang Nursery at North Point. It is a private school which main education language is Mandarin except for the English class. The whole school environment is Mandarin even for the cleaning lady. I notice that there are a lot of mixed families ( Chinese + foreign white) will send the kids for N and K1 and will transfer their kids to other international schools (according to your original plan of CIS etc...)afterwards after K1.
This school will not increase your international school chance. It's just for the Mandarin environment.

作者: tinatsui2019    時間: 23-6-5 16:20

tinatsui2019 發表於 23-6-5 16:14
回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

If you want  your kid to have a good mandarin background, you may try th ...
For your information, there are about 1/4 of the students in the  N class of Kiangsu and Checkiang Nursery are mixed students. Observations from my boy's class.
作者: lastpass    時間: 23-6-5 18:05     標題: 回覆樓主:

本帖最後由 lastpass 於 23-6-5 18:11 編輯

My boy went to KCS for 3 years (N to K2) before going to ESF. Some of his classmates went to HKIS and CIS. Just like the above poster said there were a few mixed families. If you don't speak Mandarin a tutor is recommended. When my son went there from 2015 to 2018, it did big class teaching meaning there were 43 kids in a class.

Compare to other IS ESF is not too difficult to get in. Also, QBS is opposite to CIS. So if ESF is an option maybe QBS is a better choice as it's closer to where you're located.

作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-5 20:34

tinatsui2019 發表於 23-6-5 16:14
回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

If you want  your kid to have a good mandarin background, you may try th ...
Thank you! I will go check it out.
This is a great idea but they need to work on their website. It really doesn't represent them well.

作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-5 21:13

本帖最後由 gweiloproblems 於 24-1-25 12:44 編輯
lastpass 發表於 23-6-5 18:05
My boy went to KCS for 3 years (N to K2) before going to ESF. Some of his classmates went to HKIS an ...

We live in kowloon and I think KJS is closer to us in ESF. It is our extremely good backup if we don't get our 3 target schools.
I'm definitely going to go say hi at KCS to find out more as suggested :)

作者: Goodluck2022    時間: 23-6-6 11:10

回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

Your backup schools are the top schools in HK.
What are you doing or planning to do for your kid from now to the date of interview ?

Please share with us !

作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-6 11:29

本帖最後由 gweiloproblems 於 23-6-6 11:35 編輯
Goodluck2022 Published on 23-6-6 11:10

Your backup schools are the top schools in HK.

You are absolutely right and I am sure the stated backups are also extremely hard to get admission into. I am just trying to put my best foot forward. Luckily it seems HK educations is top notch and wherever she will end up she is guaranteed an amazing school with the world IB average being around 30 while HK is 37.

I will take collective advice I have received from this group so far and definitely try and find some PTH classes for my child. I will also checkout the KCS campus in person as it might be a good idea to send her to a PTH medium KG and supplement English learning at home.

作者: Goodluck2022    時間: 23-6-6 11:52

回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

Hong Kong parents are strict and willing to invest plenty of resources in kids education.
I look forward to hearing where your kid will attend school.

Dont abandon us and keep us updated along the education journey.

作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-6 16:55

本帖最後由 gweiloproblems 於 23-6-6 16:56 編輯
gweiloproblems Posted on 23-6-6 11:29
You are absolutely right and I am sure the stated backups are also extremely hard to get admission ...

KCS May 2023 Highlights

It seems like a big school

作者: boojiji    時間: 23-6-6 17:13

I guess as an expat/foreigner, you would aim at Simplified Chinese for your kid? If that's the case, you can take VEO out of your picture since the curriculum is quite equally split between Cantonese, Mandarin and English. I think it's quite frustrating for a kid to attend a school where he doesn't understand 2/3 of the time.

If i wasn't mistaken, CWB Vic have Mandarin and English class (which can take out the pressure from Cantonese)

But seriously as other users have listed, applying PN & K1 should not need any "Chinese skills" as long as not CIS

And i suggest you start connecting with schools (don't let them know you read up so much... just pretend merely as an expat and ask them any questions..they should be happy to answer)

If i wasn't mistaken, Mauritius speaks French, would you consider FIS in case your family wanna move back home in the future?
作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-6 17:56

boojiji 發表於 23-6-6 17:13
I guess as an expat/foreigner, you would aim at Simplified Chinese for your kid? If that's the case, ...
Yes Simplified Chinese will suffice as most IS have PTH only. I did not know VEO was Trilingual. I completely understand why everyone was not recommending it here.

CWB Victoria was the main one my colleagues also had mentioned. It supposed to have the highest number of successful applicants to CIS. But again, as said above, I will not be applying if it seems like I am putting too much pressure on the child. Maybe CIS is not the right fit and learning PTH at such a young age without family support is not a good idea.

You are absolutely correct. We do have a French background but at home we try to keep her first language as English. I would personally prefer her to learn PTH as a foreign language and only consider French if she has too much trouble / does not enjoy PTH. I think French is offered in nearly all IS and I think we can take care of her fluency later in life if need be.

Asking School Admissions is a great idea and will definitely do it. I hope they give me a bit more insight on what to do. I truly appreciate all the advice given by you and the others on this forum. The personal experiences shared give so much context to all the information on the web. It keeps building on what a good course of action should be :)

作者: sr0925    時間: 23-6-16 19:31

回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

If you go to Dibber, I think Anfield kindergarten nearby could be better. Also for GSIS, you need to make sure her English is native level and she is matured and presentable kid to pass the interview. To enter their K1 class, kid needs to take interview the year before (your kid will be 2-3 yrs old at that point depends on birthday). The school mentioned kid at this stage needs to be able to speak at least 5 words sentence to be considered good enough. It’s not very easy for kids around 2 to be honest.

For HKIS, it’s easier as long as your kid English is good enough and well rounded.

For CIS, you need to be very good and then very lucky of you are not in priority group. The school emphasize they try to have a balanced class profile (in terms of race, gender, birth month, nationality, personality ). So if you are not in the priority group, you need first pass their standard AND meet the profile they are looking for. For example, they need a white girl who is native in English and relatively introverted, if you are close to that profile you will be admitted.

作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-20 11:14

sr0925 發表於 23-6-16 19:31
回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

If you go to Dibber, I think Anfield kindergarten nearby could be better ...
Hi!

Thanks for your answer. I have looked into Anfield, and have seen their campus. I had no idea it was better than dibber. I'll go have a look again.

GSIS needs 5 word sentences! I guess now I have something concrete to aim for. She can currently speak a couple of words but not 5 words stringed together. I'm hoping I can get her up to speed on this.

My child is definitely introverted around strangers and English is her native language.

You did not mention need of Mandarin but I have started addressing and make her repeat small things during our interactions in PTH such as: Ni Hao Ma?, Zhao Shang Hao, Wo Jiao, Wo Hen Hao, Xie Xie, Niu Nai etc. I am not sure if it would be enough for the interview but I have realized all the bilingual pre-nursery are really not teaching anything meaningful in PTH and I can do the small little teaching at home in my free time.

作者: Shellyxlk    時間: 23-6-20 20:45

gweiloproblems 發表於 23-6-20 11:14
Hi!

Thanks for your answer. I have looked into Anfield, and have seen their campus. I had no idea i ...

I have friends who also put lots of effort on mandarin learning for their young kids ~1.5y, they hire mandarin teacher to come to their home 3 times per week and 2 hours per class to play with their children in mandarin.  I think the results is quite good

作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-6-21 20:03

Shellyxlk 發表於 23-6-20 20:45
I have friends who also put lots of effort on mandarin learning for their young kids ~1.5y, they hi ...
I guess 1on1 is going to be a lot better. I was hoping for a classroom setting for learning as it will get her comfortable with the school type surroundings. But it makes sense they will Chinese a lot faster the way you suggested.
作者: yiqiyihui    時間: 23-8-27 02:02

gweiloproblems 發表於 23-6-21 20:03
I guess 1on1 is going to be a lot better. I was hoping for a classroom setting for learning as it wi ...
You may have disclosed too much info here. Your top preference, your nationality (a very rare one), current kindergarten etc. which makes your application instantly identifiable.  please don’t assume school admissions offices don’t browse edu kingdom.
More harm than good for them to know they are only your 2nd to Nth choice…

Worth looking into seeing if it’s possible to delete the key info…

作者: 7jai    時間: 23-8-28 08:58

sr0925 發表於 23-6-16 19:31
回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

If you go to Dibber, I think Anfield kindergarten nearby could be better ...
You forgot to point out that CIS also looks at the family's background, occupation, wealth status, etc.  They are quite particular on which types of families they want to invite into their "exclusive" community.  Even Nicolas Tse's kids couldn't get in, and they are clearly rich and successful business people.  I think the reason why they didn't get in was more on the bad publicity that Nic Tse has generated over the years with his back-and-forth wife/girlfriend etc.  
So it just goes to show you that they want real intellectual, smart, with clear potential kids..... but at the same time, they expect the same from the child's family background as well.  If both mom and dad are executives of big companies (i.e. CEO, CFO, Partner, Executive Director, etc.) or if the parents own their own successful huge business....that increases your child's chances as well.

Everyone I personally know who got into CIS, their parents are these profiles.  I don't think I know any parents who got in and worked a typical 9-5 mid-manager job in companies.  If there was one, then the kid must be a wunderkid with super gifted academic powers.

CIS is very elitist like this.  But that's also why their community is so "special".

作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-8-30 11:56

yiqiyihui 發表於 23-8-27 02:02
You may have disclosed too much info here. Your top preference, your nationality (a very rare one),  ...
Thank you for this. I really did not think about this at all and appreciate the heads up. I have tried removing some personal details but I guess the major damage is already done haha.

I will try and make the most of this thread with all the information that has already been given and will keep your suggestion in mind when posting in the future. Thanks again!
作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-8-30 12:05

7jai 發表於 23-8-28 08:58
You forgot to point out that CIS also looks at the family's background, occupation, wealth status, e ...
Luckily I am not as famous as Nicholas Tse haha.

Just joking, but I can see what you are saying. It does seem like CIS wants to curate its school applicants and choose based on a variety of sociodemographic factors. While I do have a 9-5, My job profile is relatively in good standing with colleagues around me all having their kids at good schools.

It is very truly though that I do not have any "Klout" or contacts that I can namedrop in interviews. Only advantage I have is FP and that is why I was looking for any educational guidance that can help me push my application little bit further :)
作者: 7jai    時間: 23-8-30 13:23

gweiloproblems 發表於 23-8-30 12:05
Luckily I am not as famous as Nicholas Tse haha.

Just joking, but I can see what you are saying. It ...
If CIS is your aim, I think any networking with their board members or their associations would help your chances.  I don't have any connections, but within your circle, if you have some affiliations with them, may be worthwhile to arrange something.

It's not good enough anymore to "know" a teacher who teachers there or not.  They don't have any power to be honest.  I personally know a few teachers there, but they can't help.  They will just tell you things that you already know.

Another way to increase your chances is to interview prep your child a few months beforehand.  They have experience in prepping children to maximize their success rate in getting in.  Once again, CIS looks at the performance of the kid (i.e. if they are gifted, smart, intelligent, rational, logically, calm, etc.).  Then they look at the performance of the parents (i.e. what do you do, who you associate with, your occupation and wealth status, your demeanor, will you be a good asset for CIS and a good brand ambassador, etc.)
Once again, just my own suggestions.  But again from my own circle of experience, those kids who got in were either super smart, and/or their parents are very reputatable/successful.  I haven't heard of any 'normal' child getting in personally.  Just being up front here.

作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-8-30 13:47

7jai 發表於 23-8-30 13:23
If CIS is your aim, I think any networking with their board members or their associations would help ...
Thanks for this! I really have no connections with their boards or similar. Just some friends who have suggested a few kindergartens and tutors to get my kid to be a little more outspoken. I really do want my kid ending up in one of the choice schools.

Do you have any suggestions for my child's interview prep? During my research I've only come across https://www.topschools.asia/ and https://www.hk-schools.com/, however I have not got any first hand reviews for them.
作者: Goodluck2022    時間: 23-8-30 14:38

回覆 7jai 的帖子

How about SIS ?
作者: 7jai    時間: 23-8-30 14:51

Goodluck2022 發表於 23-8-30 14:38
回覆 7jai 的帖子

How about SIS ?
SIS isn't as difficult to get into than CIS.  

SIS also depends on your child's performance, but not so much on your family's background.  I would say it's easier to get in as not as many people fight for these spots.  Don't get me wrong though, still have to compete for a spot - but not as extreme as CIS.
I don't know many people who goto SIS, but from what I hear, they are very academically driven and simplified chinese.  So I would assume their interview will be to test your english and chinese.  

作者: 7jai    時間: 23-8-30 14:52

gweiloproblems 發表於 23-8-30 13:47
Thanks for this! I really have no connections with their boards or similar. Just some friends who ha ...

I am not too sure personally, but I know there are some interview prep schools out there.  Maybe ask some of your connections as well on this?  

Personally im' not aiming for CIS as I don't fit their "profile", so I would prefer to go to other schools that fit our family better.

作者: ngyeungbun    時間: 23-8-30 14:58

I would recommend CIS
作者: Goodluck2022    時間: 23-8-30 15:26

https://www.cis.edu.hk/academics/secondary/overview/ib-dp-results

作者: 7jai    時間: 23-8-30 15:34

ngyeungbun 發表於 23-8-30 14:58
I would recommend CIS
I would also recommend after CIS to go to Harvard University and Stanford University.
作者: barque    時間: 23-8-30 17:24

Goodluck2022 發表於 23-8-30 15:26
https://www.cis.edu.hk/academics/secondary/overview/ib-dp-results

UK的大學比較少

作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-9-4 15:19

7jai 發表於 23-8-30 14:52
I am not too sure personally, but I know there are some interview prep schools out there.  Maybe as ...
Thanks. May I ask where you would be applying for your kids? I don't think my profile is ideal either but just striving to get them the best.
作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-9-4 15:26

本帖最後由 gweiloproblems 於 23-9-4 15:58 編輯
Goodluck2022 發表於 23-8-30 14:38
回覆 7jai 的帖子

How about SIS ?

From what I hear it is a great school. Its a little too far from me and would only be OK travelling so much for my top 3 choices. Otherwise I have great schools near me too that I would be very happy with as well.

作者: Luminous_HK    時間: 23-10-18 10:36

Agree with the comments that GSIS places a very high standard on English comprehension and fluency already for KG and Y01 admissions.  

And it would be a huge plus for the interviews if your children are outgoing and outspoken.  

We went through the interview process at two of the three schools.  We were fortunate to have received positive results, but it was a long and somewhat painful process that took a lot of dedication on the part of the parents.

I would be happy to share some of the experiences if you DM me.

作者: gweiloproblems    時間: 23-11-2 13:57

Luminous_HK 發表於 23-10-18 10:36
Agree with the comments that GSIS places a very high standard on English comprehension and fluency a ...
I do think my child's English is quite good but may need to work on making her a little less anxious on meeting new people / working with a new environment.

Do you get worried regarding the bus ride up to the Peak. I had seen the campus on the way to Matilda Hospital sometime back and the ride up in rain did not seem easy.
作者: AJW2010    時間: 23-11-4 23:43

KG is in Pokfulam and students are mandatory to take school bus.  Most primary and secondary students at the Peak campus take school bus anyway.  No need to worry about it.

歡迎光臨 教育王國 (/) Powered by Discuz! X1.5