教育王國

標題: ucas 選校策略 [打印本頁]

作者: yoyo2103    時間: 16-9-28 23:36     標題: ucas 選校策略

之前有上EK睇過有家長話 ucas 選校都好有學問,請大家分享下
好嗎?
作者: 1998Ruby1998    時間: 16-9-29 03:16

我上年報UCAS,策略是:1間冒險,1間嘗試,2間穩陣,1間後備。
冒險就是碰運氣,例如你成績大概AAB的話,可以選些AAA甚至A*A*A的大學+offer率低,可能有機會考到或是大學降低收生門檻,讓你AAB也可以入讀。大學例如Oxbridge,LSE,Imperial等,就算知道幾乎沒可能考上,若有offer,心裡也可以高興一下。

嘗試就是收生成績比你高一級,例如成績ABC的話,可以選ABB。與冒險差不多,但是offer率絕對要90%以上。不是每間大學和每個學系都有100%offer率。可以選些排名較低一點的Russell Group,例如Leeds,York,Cardiff等。

穩陣,顧名思義,就是與你成績一樣或是低一級,若成績是ABB,就選一些與自己一樣的吧。可以選一些排名更低的Russell Group和與Russell Group一樣出名的大學,如Leicester,Sussex,Brighton。

後備就是touch wood大失準,如果成績是ABB,可以選一間BBB的。

好了,上述謹是選校策略。選科策略也是很重要的。大學除了出名,還需要個別科目上排名高。例如Accounting and Finance,Bath和Strathclyde雖不在Russell Group內,A&F卻是她們最強。Loughborough也不是Russell Group,Art and Design是國內出挑的。

UCAS選校真的需要深思熟慮,不妨多些溝通和上網Research,因為只有5個位,浪費就太可惜。
作者: Cutemum16    時間: 16-9-29 15:45

回覆 1998Ruby1998 的帖子

Thanks for sharing.
My daughter will apply university next year.  She aims for Law.  I have looked the UK ranking for Law LLB. I would like to know what are your recommendations except Oxbridge. Thanks

作者: yoyo2103    時間: 16-9-29 16:25

thanks for sharing.  He's predicted grades are yet to be made  3A*A/B.can he try LSE &Imperial?

作者: 1998Ruby1998    時間: 16-9-29 16:30

回覆 Cutemum16 的帖子

Law is quite a special case because most Russell Group Universities require straight As and they tend not to be lenient to law applicants. I would suggest UCL or LSE, Warwick, Exeter or Sussex or Surrey and Essex.UCL or LSE are top law schools but their offer rate is around 20%, and they usually require A*AA.
Warwick requires straight As yet the offer rate is not quite secured, usually around 50%.
Exeter, Sussex and Surrey allow AAB students, their offer rates are higher, almost securing yourself a place in them. Despite not Sussex and Surrey are not in Russell Group, they have their reputations.
Essex accepts applicants with BBB to ABB, which means this would be your last resort if your daughter's examination performance unfortunately does not meet her expectations.

作者: HHHR    時間: 16-9-29 16:42

本帖最後由 HHHR 於 16-9-29 16:43 編輯

回覆 Cutemum16 的帖子

Need to know the expected grades / marks of your daughter before any concrete suggestions can be made.
Another reminder: If your daughter consider coming back to practise in HK, picking a law school that is more renowned, in particular to HK law firms and chambers, e.g. the Russell Groups, may be a bit more advantageous.

When referring to UK league tables, please do not only look at one. Try to compare the ranking between different tables. Personally, I will pick the Complete University Guide, The Times Good University Guide, and the QS World University Ranking by Subjects (use filter to list only UK law schools). I don't take the league table of the Guardian too serious as their ranking of some law schools is totally different from the others. In all, league tables are just reference, not The Bible.

I will also consider the employer and graduate survey conducted by The Chambers Student. Contains quite useful information, in particular views of employers. Below is the link:
http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities

Hope the above can help!

作者: Cutemum16    時間: 16-9-29 19:07

Thanks a lot 1998 Ruby1998 & HHR

Appreciate both of you your detailed explanation and advice to me.  Very helpful!

作者: optimist    時間: 16-9-30 18:58

Cutemum16 發表於 16-9-29 15:45
回覆 1998Ruby1998 的帖子

Thanks for sharing.
Hi, same here.According to my research:
LSE is surely the top choice but it is hard to get in. A large number of applicants with 9+ A*s and predicted 3-4A*s get rejected every year.
UCL and Durham are excellent too but bear in mind that they are LNAT universities. UCL in London so maybe more expensive living cost but more entertainment.
KCL is very good as well but more expensive fees (can apply for Dickson Poon Scholarship though) and a lot of HK/mainland students (in fact in other unis as well). Compared to Durham, King's is less academic. Also a LNAT uni.
Bristol, nice place, academically strong but LNAT.
Nottingham and Queen Mary have high academic standards but in terms of location they are less attractive (probs higher crime rates). And the majority of students are black at QM.
Warwick has a lower standard offer compared to the above unis. No LNAT, good reputation (esp. in HK).
My preference: LSE > UCL > Durham > KCL > Bristol > Notts > QMUL > Warwick
Not sure about other unis though
Good luck!

作者: geppetto    時間: 16-10-2 17:54

My son expected the following 2017 DSE  results:
Eng(5*), Chi(3), Math(4), LS(5), Econ(5), BAFS(5).

He is interested in studying LLB in UK. It is not realistic to target the LLB courses at those top universities, like LSE & UCL  I am going to apply for the following:

University of Manchester
University of Birmingham
University of Southampton
University of Sheffield
University of Liverpool
Cardiff University

May I know whether the above are good? Any other worth considering? Which 5 should I apply?

Thank you
作者: Cutemum16    時間: 16-10-2 19:17

optimist, Thanks a lot for your view and sharing.  Appreciated

I know LSE and UCL both are difficult to get in unless you have super good results (good luck as well)
Durham is good but my daughter thinks that the town centre is small and boring ( she is now studying in a small town boarding school for year 12, A level)
Nottingham U has nice campus coz she had been there for taster lessens last year.
So I would put: 1. try LSE/UCL(if her predicted grades can meet their requirement) 2. Bristol 3)Warwick 4)Exeter
5) Nottingham
Her GCSE result this summer was 8A* 2A but hard to tell how her GCE's result????

作者: optimist    時間: 16-10-2 19:57

Cutemum16 發表於 16-10-2 19:17
optimist, Thanks a lot for your view and sharing.  Appreciated

I know LSE and UCL both are difficul ...
If she is just Y12, I suppose she still has plenty of time to do more research before a firm decision has to be made. Given her GCSE results, I guess her predicted grades would likely be higher than or equal to A*AA. In this case, the five choices you mentioned are sensible but personally I reckon she can be more aggressive e.g. LSE, UCL, Bristol, Warwick, Nottingham. However it is too early to think too much because she has just started her A levels. Maybe a better strategy, rather than picking unis at an early stage, is to focus on her current subjects, increase her exposure to law(work experience, court hearings, reading etc.) and not panic. She will gradually have more idea as she attends open days and hears opinions from the Y13s and the school. Not until summer 2017 will she need to worry about UCAS.
作者: Ruby1219    時間: 16-10-2 21:42     標題: 引用:Quote:Cutemum16+發表於+16-10-2+19:17+opt

原帖由 optimist 於 16-10-02 發表
If she is just Y12, I suppose she still has plenty of time to do more research before a firm decisio ...
My son also just started the A level courses at lower six. By when should the student decide on their university subject so to start doing the relevant preparation?

作者: connie_tam    時間: 16-10-2 21:51

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
作者: connie_tam    時間: 16-10-2 21:54

作者: Cutemum16    時間: 16-10-3 00:02

回覆 connie_tam 的帖子

Optimist & Connie_tam, thanks a lot for both advice and sharing.

Agreed that she needs to gain law related working experience for writing personal statement.  Actually, she had gained law experience at the Royal Courts of Justice in London last year. (appreciated her school arranged this for her).  I feel glad about this coz she had been given the opportunity to gain insight into the judiciary. She also watched one trial in the court of Old Bailey.  After this,  she will receive  support and advice from junior barristers connected for her application process.  My daughter would put these as part of her personal statement.

For the 2017 summer holiday, I hope she can also gain other law related experience as well.  Hope her school can offer help or through my connection to find one.

作者: optimist    時間: 16-10-3 00:42

connie_tam 發表於 16-10-2 21:54
回覆 Ruby1219 的帖子

To be fair, it's probably the right time to start thinking about which subject ...
Right. A point to add is that if he is considering medic, he should start looking for work experience now. The competition for medic is very fierce because 1) there is a quota of the number of international students (approx 7%)(everyone not paying UK tax but holding UK passport is counted as intl'); 2) not many universities offer the course;  and 3) medical schools expect applicants to have done a decent amount of work experience. (Sorry if there is any inaccurate information)Besides, I would positively recommend doing an Extended Project (EPQ) on the subject he intends to apply for if the school offers the option. It is something brilliant to put in the personal statement and UCAS reference (and to talk about in interviews too). In the process he will do extra reading and research which would ideally develop his interest in the subject.Back to your question, I think he may want to decide whether to do an art or science degree by the end of December. By Easter it should have been narrowed down to 1-2 subjects. Then he needs to make up his mind by July at the very latest because it is the final chance to do work experience/ summer course.

作者: optimist    時間: 16-10-3 00:47

Cutemum16 發表於 16-10-3 00:02
回覆 connie_tam 的帖子

Optimist & Connie_tam, thanks a lot for both advice and sharing.
It certainly puts her in a very strong position! This is a very good start so don't worry too much.
作者: 1998Ruby1998    時間: 16-10-3 01:39

回覆 Cutemum16 的帖子

My friends have been to Nottingham's accommodation, they comment that the accommodation is not up to expectations and far worse than Birmingham and many other universities.
作者: 1998Ruby1998    時間: 16-10-3 01:40

回覆 geppetto 的帖子

Why not Warwick? :)
作者: HHHR    時間: 16-10-4 00:33

本帖最後由 HHHR 於 16-10-4 00:42 編輯

回覆 Cutemum16 的帖子

Your daughter's GCSE results are great. Congratulation!

Your choice of 5: LSE/UCL, Bristol, Nottingham, Warwick and Exeter are well picked. Personally I prefer UCL, though LSE is more well known to both the general public and the legal profession. Nonetheless, UCL is gaining pretty high reputation in the professional field in recent years. On the other hand, I will pick Exeter as the insured choice, and if you want to consider an alternate option, the law school of Manchester is worth considering.

Has your daugther thought about getting into Oxford / Cambridge? Judging from her GCSE results, it worths a shot if you want to be a bit more aggressive.

Your daughter's internship and work-related experience seem to be focusing on barrister. Is that her preference? If not, try get some exeprience of working in a solicitor firm. That will definitely broaden her view and perspective, and give her more information to make up her mind.

One last reminder. As far as possible, ask your daughter to pay a visit to the universities she may consider. Open day is a good opportunity for her to know more and see if she likes the people and the environmet there. It is very crucial, as she is going to spend three of her most important years in that university. UK top law school is highly competitive and very demanding, not just for getting in but also for the 3-year of study. Study life can be pretty tense, and if she doesn't like the university life, it can be a nightmare. All of your 5 choices are very O.K., all of them being top UK law schools. It will be fine no matter which one your daughter is going to study, so ask her to pick the one she like most. To me and most of my school-mates and friends, university life is one of the best time of our life. It should be fun, enjoyable and full of good memories.

作者: Cutemum16    時間: 16-10-4 20:15

回覆 HHHR 的帖子

HHHR, thanks a lot for your valuable sharing and view.  Appreciated

It would be hard to tell now whether she will apply Oxbridge. Actually, Her school had arranged her to attend the Oxbridge Conference last year.  It was a good experience to let her listen to those tutors/Admission people from Oxbridge.  What is the student life, qualifications, advice..........My daughter has not yet thought about getting into at this moment.  But my friend's DD is studying at Cambridge mentioned the U life is very demanding.  

I am not sure if barrister is her preference.  She called me last week and said the A level subjects are more challenging and a bit hard.  After one month of studying, her test results are still in top grades.  I am glad to hear that.

作者: MsSleepy    時間: 16-10-6 20:21

回覆 HHHR 的帖子

Hi HHHR ...... my daughter, a HK student to take HKDSE in 2017 aims at architecture and is about to submit her UCAS application.  Her 5 choices are UCL, Sheffield, Manchester, Bristol and Newcastle.  Any feedback about these choices?

作者: HHHR    時間: 16-10-6 21:57

回覆 MsSleepy 的帖子

Dear Ms Sleepy,
Is it possible for me to know her expected levels or description of her results in schools? That will make the recommendation closer to reality.

作者: MsSleepy    時間: 16-10-6 22:43

回覆 HHHR 的帖子

HHHR , thanks for your swift reply.  Unfortunately the school does not tell us her predicted grades.  The school only let us know that she meets the requirements for all the UK universities that she plans to apply.  Hope this helps.
作者: HHHR    時間: 16-10-6 23:21

回覆 MsSleepy 的帖子

Well, in that case just comment on the universities.
First, to clarify, I guess the 'Manchester' you pick should be Manchester School of Architecture (MSA), and the 'Bristol' should be University West of England, Bristol (UWE, Bristol). I guess you know MSA is jointly administered by the University of Manchester and the Manchester Metropolitan Univeristy, and many people view it as part of the famous University of Manchester, while UWE is an independent university near Bristol, and not part of the University of Bristol.

All 5 you have picked of top schools of architecture in UK. Studying at any one of them should be fine.

UCL and Sheffield should be the best two. UCL is rather demanding, while Sheffield is relatively less. So if your daughter is confident of her results, and wants to be a bit more aggressive, pick UCL. If not, Sheffield is in no way less prestigeous than UCL, but slightly less demanding in entry requirements. Personally, I will put both in my 5 UCAS choice.

MSA and Newcastle are still the top tier schools of architecture, but slightly lower than Sheffield and UCL. The difference is minimal, so graduates from these two may protest against me. The two are pretty much equal, and I suggest picking1 for your daughter's UCAS choice. Personally I will pick MSA as it is more renowned in the professional field, though the University of Newcastle is more famous as a university.

UWE is more lenient in entry requirments, and I will pick it as an insured choice.

For the remaining 1 choice, I recommend University of Kent or University of Liverpool for your consideration. Both are famous universities with very good school of architecture, but less demanding than UCL, Sheffield, MSA and Newcastle. According to my impression, it seems that Kent is a bit more well known than Liverpool in the study of architecture, so my personal choice is Kent.

I am no expert in the field of architecture, and the above is just my personal view based on my research and impression.

作者: MsSleepy    時間: 16-10-6 23:52

回覆 HHHR 的帖子

Thank you for your great help.  I will discuss with my daughter again.
作者: manning2014    時間: 16-10-7 11:41

MsSleepy 發表於 16-10-6 20:21
回覆 HHHR 的帖子

Hi HHHR ...... my daughter, a HK student to take HKDSE in 2017 aims at architectur ...
For choices of UK Architecture program, you may refer to Complete Ranking Table which quite reflect the reality.
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Architecture

Applying and studying Architecture is not just about academic. On admission, all University will look at candidates' creativity and art ability. Most require art portfolio, and other will look at your past experience in Art. Each Top architecture school does have their own characteristic, streight and weakness. There are 3 architecture school are commonly considered the top 3 in UK for many years. For Cambridge, it has the biggest name but is very academic and theoretic, lack of creative and practical skill. Bath is very academic and practical while not as creative as UCL. UCL is very artistic and creative, but not lack of practical skill in job setting.

Out of your choice, UCL is the best but they are very demanding in artistic skill. If your daughter is not that type, she will have a very very difficult time in UCL. And they require portfolio and interview. Your daughter should have a very very good drawing skill.

Bristol does not have architecture program. Sheffield and Manchester are better than Newcastle. For other one choice, may consider Edinburgh which is also very good.  

作者: MsSleepy    時間: 16-10-7 16:01

回覆 manning2014 的帖子

Hi Manning2014

Thanks for your detailed information and sharing, much appreciated.  

We are aware of the requirement for art portfolios for most of the UK architecture school. The only school that does not require an art portfolio is Bath.  Although my daughter does not take Visual Art in HKDSE, she has a good foundation of drawing skills and is in the progress of preparing the art portfolio.  She looks for artsy and creative architecture school and her first choice is UCL.  She knows UCL is very competitive and its difficult to get admitted even you have very good academic result.  Many candidates failed the task and being rejected.   Hope that she can pass the task and proceed to interview.  

She loves Bath, unfortunately, she did not take any science subjects and sounds like she does not meet the requirement of applying Bath.

Edinburgh is a good choice, the point to consider is the undergraduate takes 4 years which is a consideration.

She considers to put UWE Bristol (not U of Bristol, sorry for confusion) as an insurance.  

Now she will put UCL, Sheffield, MSA, UWE Bristol and is still struggling what to be put for the final choice.

作者: manning2014    時間: 16-10-7 16:23

回覆 MsSleepy 的帖子

That is good. As long as student set their goal on it, go for it. Architecture is a very tough and demonding course and career, no matter where she will study in the end. It is so tough that it really need student having true passion and determination to go through and finish the whole 7+ years training. I once read this article which is still true nowadays.
http://archinect.com/forum/thread/94420/disillusioned-bartlett-student-needs-advise-on-other-schools-options-help

Good luck to your daughter on her way in pursuing her dream.

作者: MsSleepy    時間: 16-10-8 15:10

回覆 manning2014 的帖子

Hi Manning2014, my daughter would like to include Liverpool as one of the 5 choices for UCAS.  Would like to hear your feedback as well.  Much appreciated.
作者: jitjitma    時間: 16-10-8 23:57

HHHR 發表於 16-9-29 16:42
回覆 Cutemum16 的帖子

Need to know the expected grades / marks of your daughter before any concrete ...

HHHR,我仔想去英國讀business,econ,finance有關學系,佢4core之外仲有econ,physics,M1,project 4 core應該至少有 5 5 5 4,econ 5,physics 4,M1 5。
咁既成績應該可以點揀呢?UCL,Exeter 有無希望?報oxford是否太大想頭?

作者: 888iphone4s    時間: 16-10-9 21:40

jitjitma 發表於 16-10-8 23:57
HHHR,我仔想去英國讀business,econ,finance有關學系,佢4core之外仲有econ,physics,M1,project 4 co ...
oxford好似就快deadline...

作者: jitjitma    時間: 16-10-9 22:35

888iphone4s 發表於 16-10-9 21:40
oxford好似就快deadline...

咁快?!

作者: etoile    時間: 16-10-9 22:36

jitjitma 發表於 16-10-9 22:35
咁快?!
10月15日。
作者: HHHR    時間: 16-10-10 01:07

本帖最後由 HHHR 於 16-10-10 01:08 編輯

回覆 jitjitma 的帖子

Core 5554中的4是甚麼科?如果係中文或通識問題不大,英文或數學就有麻煩,請說明清楚。暫時當英數都係5

正如etoile所言,Oxford 1015日截止報名,如果未準備好(例如寫起personal statement)應該趕唔切!

所問學科太闊,單是Economics都有4-5programs,更唔好講Business。在此只好當係BSc EconomicsBSc Accountingand FinanceBSc Business Management來回答。(請留意,Business不同programs收生要求差異頗大,同一間大學可以有2-3grade嘅分別,即5*55-554)

Economics3科中要求最高,因為係英國及歐洲學生熱選之一。OxfordWarwickLSEUCLBathEconomics top tier大學,沒有5*55 (數學一定5*M15)機會不大,5554/554 Topschool tier 2ExeterNottinghamBristol仍有機會,可以一試。買保險可考慮ManchesterBirminghamLiverpool,一般入學要求為英數44及選修554

BSc Accounting and Finance要求略低,你兒子的成績Exeter應該有機會,同級可考慮NottinghamDurhamQueen MaryUCL 就有D難度。買保險可考慮SheffieldKent

BScBusiness and Management
相對前兩科要求較低,你兒子考入Exeter的機會應該幾好,同級有LeedsSurreyDurhamUCLBusiness,只有Management Science;大學名氣響競爭大,不是一定無機會但好難講。保險同樣係SheffieldKent

總的來說,你兒子不論報EconomicsFinanceBusinessUCAS可選一間高一級的大學一試,除左UCL外可考慮WarwickBath。同Exeter同級可考慮NottinghamDurham。保險除SheffieldKent外,個人會考慮Manchester,貪大學知名度高。

最後一句,請囝囝盡力考好英文同數學,如果其中一科(最好係數學)可以upgrade5*,咁就機會大好多,亦可選多D top tier嘅大學。

作者: jitjitma    時間: 16-10-10 22:49

HHHR 發表於 16-10-10 01:07
回覆 jitjitma 的帖子

Core 5554中的4是甚麼科?如果係中文或通識問題不大,英文或數學就有麻煩,請說明清 ...

多謝HHHR咁詳細既分析,等我同仔仔再研究

作者: HHHR    時間: 16-10-11 00:14

回覆 jitjitma 的帖子

多謝ivanissue嘅提醒,UCL Economics同Management Science要求M2,所以jitjitma可把UCL從選校名單剔除。
作者: jitjitma    時間: 16-10-11 08:32

HHHR 發表於 16-10-11 00:14
回覆 jitjitma 的帖子

多謝ivanissue嘅提醒,UCL Economics同Management Science要求M2,所以jitjitma可把 ...

噢!謝謝提醒

作者: Natronma    時間: 16-10-14 17:20

問問大家, physiotherapy 應如何選擇?我諗住同亞女報KCL, Birmingham, Nottingham, Southampton, East Englia, 好嗎?

作者: katrinayinwing    時間: 16-10-16 16:29

Hi HHHR,
Very informative for above all forum.
My daughter, predicated grade A*AA (Math/Phy/Chem), (AS: AAAA, IGCSE English first language - A) choose Civil Engineering, want to put 5 UK university: Imperial/Bath/UCL/Birmingham/Leeds.
However, she just told want to give up Imperial as Imperial website did mention M2 is desirable and she hasn't have this subject.
Any comment on her chosen university? Is it too aggressive?
Is any chance to HKU, if she apply throu non- jupas?
Thanks

作者: HHHR    時間: 16-10-17 00:47

回覆 katrinayinwing 的帖子

Yes, ICL preferred Mechanics 1 and 2, so not taking M2 weakens your daugther's chance to get admitted.

Your daughter's results are very impressive, so it is O.K. to be a bit aggressive. Taking out ICL from your list, Bath is the best option. An alternative is Southampton. Both are top tier universities in engineering, and competition for admission is very keen, at least A*AA. For Bath, Maths at least A, while Southampton requires Maths A* and one science subject A. In view of entry requirements, Bath is slightly more linient. However, in terms of reputaton, Southampton is a bit better. It won't be wrong to pick one of them to be your daugther's first choice. Of course, to be more aggressive, take both.

Birmingham is OK, but in my personal opinion, I will pick Manchester or Nottingham which are of the same ranking, top uni 2nd tier, and same requirements (all 3 unis require AAB in 3 AL subjects including Mahts and one science subject; Nottingham being more demanding, requires A in Maths). The reason is Manchester and Nottingham are more prestigious and renowned than Birmingham in engineering, especially if you daughter considers coming back to work in HK or Asia. Nonetheless, all three are good insurance.

Leeds is an appropriate choice of top uni 2nd tier, requires AAA for civil engineering. However, I will recommend Sheffield for your consideration. The latter also requires AAA, but it is the top 10 in UK in engineering. Personally, I prefer picking Sheffield instead.

UCL is a very famous university in UK, but not so good in civil engineering. So I myself won't put it in my list. Alternatively, consider Exeter and Bristol if you cannot pick 5 from the above suggestions.

Competition for BEng at HKU via non-JUPAS will be very keen as BEng is a very popular program among HK science students. Having said that, in view of her results, your daughter still got a chance. But be prepared HKU may give a very demanding conditional offer of A*A*A.

Hope the above can help!

作者: mummy911    時間: 16-10-17 07:04

HHHR 發表於 16-10-17 00:47
回覆 katrinayinwing 的帖子

Yes, ICL preferred Mechanics 1 and 2, so not taking M2 weakens your daug ...
May I know why Maths is more important than Phy for engineering course? Seems not all students know the advantage to take Further maths for their A level, so they become less competitive when choosing Uni , right? But why some Uni doesn't have this requirement? What's make the difference pls? Are they 2nd tier uni mainly?

作者: Edith    時間: 16-10-17 10:16

May I have suggestion for physiotherapy course ? How should I pick the universities ? the predicted grade for my son for the 3 electives are 5,5,4.

作者: manning2014    時間: 16-10-17 11:39

回覆 MsSleepy 的帖子

Liverpool is just fine. Another university may worth a consideration is Oxford Brookes. Lots of students who failed UCL would like to go there. They think they have similar characteristic in teaching.
作者: jitjitma    時間: 16-10-17 15:16

HHHR 發表於 16-10-11 00:14
回覆 jitjitma 的帖子

多謝ivanissue嘅提醒,UCL Economics同Management Science要求M2,所以jitjitma可把 ...

HHHR,謝謝你提醒UCL要M2,我仔是沒有機會的了,那麼LSE可否作為他策略中的「嘗試」,他現在好像已選定要讀A&F。除止之外,那一間可以列入冒險或嘗試之列?

作者: Ruby1219    時間: 16-10-17 16:59

jitjitma 發表於 16-10-17 15:16
HHHR,謝謝你提醒UCL要M2,我仔是沒有機會的了,那麼LSE可否作為他策略中的「嘗試」,他現在好像已選定要 ...

阿仔返咗,想趁呢兩個禮拜同佢商量選定大學course, 但佢全無頭緒,有點無從入手,大家可以比tips 嘛?
佢而家Lower six 讀緊math, further math, chemistry, physics 同history. 暫時幾科成績好平均。佢自細數理底,所以本來以為多數揀pure science 或engineering. 但佢而家又好鍾意history. 會主動做extended reading。我一向主張first bachelor degree 應該以興趣行先,所以覺得佢可考慮大學讀history or related subject. 大家點睇?

作者: HHHR    時間: 16-10-17 17:00

回覆 mummy911 的帖子

Yes, GCE AL Maths has been a basic requirement in many programs offered by top UK unis. Not only limited to Science and Engineering, even Law also gives preference to  AL Maths. Please note that we are talking about Maths, and not Further Maths.

Top unis consider GCE AL Maths a strong subject because they view Maths as the mother of science and logic. Students good at Maths are in general strong in logical thinking and analysis, which is treasured by many popular subject departments like Law, Engineering, Economics, and so on. In addition, GCE AL Maths emphasizes application of Maths concepts into real life situation. The ability to transfer and apply knowledge into different life contexts is an essential quality many top unis are looking for in their potential applicants.

It is common for top unis to be more demanding and specific on entry requirements.

作者: HHHR    時間: 16-10-17 18:25

回覆 jitjitma 的帖子

你囝囝預計HKDSE 5554 / 554 ,要入英國Top Tier大學讀Account and Finance會有D難度,不過用UCAS 5個選擇其中一個放手一搏亦無不可。

LSE名字當然響噹噹,不過強項係傳統學術科目,如法律、經濟,A&F實在好一般,但係入學競爭「超」激烈,成功率不多於10%,我個人覺得搏唔過。

Leeds 同 Strathclyde 嘅A&F係英國本土極出名,名列各大排名榜首5位,但英國以外知名度不大高,如果囝囝考慮回港或在亞洲其他地方工作/執業,要小心考慮清楚。不過話得說回頭,如果考到專業牌照,呢個就唔係問題。

最後都係建議知名度高及位列10大嘅 Bath 同 Warwick,不過入學競爭都厲害,其中尤以 Bath 為甚,要求有選修一科 Social Science,仲要最好係包含substantive essay components。我唔知 HKDSE Econ 算唔算包含substantive essay components,因此為安全計我會選 Warwick。

作者: Ruby1219    時間: 16-10-17 22:08

Ruby1219 發表於 16-10-17 16:59
阿仔返咗,想趁呢兩個禮拜同佢商量選定大學course, 但佢全無頭緒,有點無從入手,大家可以比tips 嘛?
佢 ...

HHHR, 可給我一些寶貴建議嗎?thanks !

作者: HHHR    時間: 16-10-18 01:28

回覆 Ruby1219 的帖子

同意你嘅諗法,讀First degree興趣是十分重要的考慮,不過亦都需要同時清楚個人能力。小朋友係呢個時候仍未清楚自己想點係常見現象,可以請囝囝同學校老師傾吓,特別係同佢相熟有教佢嘅老師,以及House Master、Academic Tutor 同 Career Teacher,聽聽佢地嘅意見。如果有需要可考慮找教育顧問公司做學能性向分析,我囝囝讀中六時學校有介紹,我有俾錢幫囝囝做分析,報告都幾詳細同專業,對我囝囝大學選科都有幫助。你可以叫囝囝問學校有無提供。

如果真係決定讀History,就要囝囝俾心機考好D,因為History係英國係十分熱門嘅科目,名牌大學入學競爭激烈。

由於資料唔多,只可以講住咁多先。

作者: Ruby1219    時間: 16-10-18 08:52

HHHR 發表於 16-10-18 01:28
回覆 Ruby1219 的帖子

同意你嘅諗法,讀First degree興趣是十分重要的考慮,不過亦都需要同時清楚個人能力 ...

多謝你的解答!
其實阿仔舊學年中五時已做career test, 得出結果是非常math and science oriented,Reasoning and math skills are very outstanding. 而且佢係要用腦丶著重理論多過落手落腳做trial and error.  Suggested subjects/careers are math, chemistry, physics, engineering, actuary, statistics, i bank etc. 完全冇提到history, 不過唔知係咪冇history or history related subject as 職業?

我都有諗過叫佢問老師,不過唔知科目老師會否有「私心」叫學生讀佢嗰科?所以諗緊叫佢問house master / tutor, maybe director of studies? 不過呢d老師應該只可以佢表面成績定奪,因為佢哋冇教阿仔。不過阿仔幾科成績都好平均.....

作者: Ruby1219    時間: 16-10-18 08:52

HHHR 發表於 16-10-18 01:28
回覆 Ruby1219 的帖子

同意你嘅諗法,讀First degree興趣是十分重要的考慮,不過亦都需要同時清楚個人能力 ...

我亦有考慮你所講history 會否特別難考嘅問題,尤其佢目標係考top U. 佢仲要不嬲英文成績較差,GCSE Eng Lang 攞A (Eng Lit and History - A*), 而Alevel 佢冇讀English, 除History 外全部讀Science subjects (double math, chem, phy). 唔知有無問題?

阿仔自己都認為first degree 應以興趣行先,佢多數會繼續讀落去,second degree or master... 但其實佢對其他科目如chem, math, phy 都有興趣(只係而家對history 興趣最大)。佢而家參加咗學校的physics challenge, 用physics formula set 密碼做個㚒萬比對手破解,同時要破解對方的密碼,佢亦做得好開心。

我哋計劃咗二月mid term break 時去英國陪佢參觀佢UCAS 會報嘅大學,要計劃行程,佢若target top U 亦應開始準備,所以想叫佢快d開始research 同決定學科,先可制定UCAS 會報邊幾間大學,correct ?

作者: HHHR    時間: 16-10-19 01:06

回覆 Ruby1219 的帖子

你的計劃OK,不過亦無需過份心急。其實好多人都係Year12升Year13嘅暑假先決定到自己想讀嘅學科同大學,有D嘢係急唔嚟。建議如果2月囝囝仲未揀定,可去一間campus university (例如Nottingham、Warwick) 同一間city university (例如KCL)感受一下兩類大學校園的氣氛,睇吓囝囝鍾意邊種。由於要係果度長住3年,如果唔鍾意會好辛苦。

另外如果英文程度唔太出色,就真係要認真考慮是否報讀History。不單需考慮能否考入,還需要考慮入到top uni讀History會否因為語文能力跟唔上。

作者: Ruby1219    時間: 16-10-19 09:59

HHHR 發表於 16-10-19 01:06
回覆 Ruby1219 的帖子

你的計劃OK,不過亦無需過份心急。其實好多人都係Year12升Year13嘅暑假先決定到自己 ...

Thanks for your valuable comments and advice. Yes I also worry about his English not upto the standard for studying history in top U. He is native in English but writing skill is another thing.

He had browsed the history courses in Cambridge website and reckoned that he won't study history for university. He said too much essays to write and part of the syllabus not interesting to him.

So now I told him to start looking at the engineering courses of Cambridge and Imperial to get an idea what the different streams of engineering are about.

作者: jitjitma    時間: 16-10-19 12:32

HHHR 發表於 16-10-17 18:25
回覆 jitjitma 的帖子

你囝囝預計HKDSE 5554 / 554 ,要入英國Top Tier大學讀Account and Finance會有D難 ...

HHHR, 我睇緊warwick 既 a&f entry requirement,見到有一段叫做 essential subjects :

To include Mathematics or Further Mathematics. At least one humanities/social science subject (taught in English) at A Level is preferred for overseas applicants. Maths-related subjects such as Statistics, Economics, Accounting, and Finance etc. do not meet the Mathematics requirement for this course.

To include 5 in Higher Level Mathematics. At least one humanities/social science subject (taught in English) at Higher Level is preferred for overseas applicants.

我唔係好明!我仔DSE take Econ, physics and M1,咁即係meet 唔到Warwick 既 human/social science subject requirement? 即係報唔到Warwick?

作者: 武航    時間: 16-10-19 17:29

Natronma 發表於 16-10-14 17:20
問問大家, physiotherapy 應如何選擇?我諗住同亞女報KCL, Birmingham, Nottingham, Southampton, East Engl ...
幾年前跟女兒報過ucas physio, 希望資訊不會太out.

KCL - 你要預過去Interview, 佢當日同知我地 interview 要我地5日後到英, 考緊試去唔到, 我們要求Skype interview=> 結果音訊全無

Nottingham + Southampton - 當年根本無位比外地生(我點知? 下回分解), 網頁都無講, 白白浪費了2個名額

East Anglia - 我地無報, 但有interview, (奇怪嗎?)

當年報左之後發現有間本地agency 賣晒報紙做升學展, 我地報既5間有3間有專人過來, 包括 Southampton, Nottingham, Coventry , 我地無報既EA 都有人過來. 過來的人雖不是physio 的收生專員但也有點份量的

Southampton 的人in 完我女, 不過好快話nhs 無位實習, 想收都無用, Nottingham 一樣, 果區當年根本無位實習都費事in. Conventry in 左有offer了, EA我地無報都In 左, 個專員似乎好like 小女, 話如果不幸ucas五個位全軍覆沒, ucas 係有機制比第6個choice, 到時可直接contact 佢.

所以我覺得physio 可找個agency 搭搭路問實間u 果區夠竟有無位比實習, 無就無謂浪費d位.

(詳情可看看我當年的日誌)

作者: JMR    時間: 16-10-19 18:08

Dear All,

If my son is interest in Chemical Engineering area subjects and his predicted grade on DSE is
Eng 5**
Chi 5*
Math 5**
LS 5
Phy 5**
Chem 5*
Bio 5*

Which 5 Universities he should choose then.

Thank you very much for your suggestion first.

作者: DKmum    時間: 16-10-19 19:16

武航 發表於 16-10-19 17:29

KCL - 你要預過去Interview, 佢當日同知我地 intervie ...
請問你女兒最後是否入讀physiotherapy, 如是, 可否分享那一間?
作者: HHHR    時間: 16-10-20 00:46

回覆 jitjitma 的帖子

Economics係Social Science subject,所以照睇入學要求你囝囝係合資格報讀。不過英國大學好多只當佢係"soft subject",所以最好send mail去問清楚。
作者: JMR    時間: 16-10-20 08:52

回覆 JMR 的帖子

武航,

I got advice from his secondary school that only the top 5 students in current S6 have the chance to Oxbridge, also I think the school have over predict his DSE result.  BioChem is also considering.

作者: Natronma    時間: 16-10-20 14:12

武航 發表於 16-10-19 17:29

KCL - 你要預過去Interview, 佢當日同知我地 intervie ...
謝謝武航的分享, 請問你的經驗是那時的資料?因我講的幾間U, 我都email 去問了是否收international students, 他們都回覆了收的, 包括nottingham and Southampton, 不過唔知會唔會好似你咁講, 到時又話冇實習位唔收

作者: 武航    時間: 16-10-20 14:23

本帖最後由 武航 於 16-10-20 14:27 編輯
Natronma 發表於 16-10-20 14:12
謝謝武航的分享, 請問你的經驗是那時的資料?因我講的幾間U, 我都email 去問了是否收international students ...

小女今年中大year 3 了, 我們的經驗已是3年前的. 因此我早說可能不合時宜.

以我所知, 收生是u自己主導, 但實習位係nhs主導亦係成個醫療區來睇的. 呢個實在存在好大既盲點. 而家要報名, 但可能間U而家都未必掌握得到究竟佢果區UHS 有無實習位比外地生.

http://www.edu-kingdom.com/home.php?mod=space&uid=32246&do=blog&id=32537

作者: Natronma    時間: 16-10-20 22:02

Thanks 武航,咁即係去英國讀physio, 想入d好d嘅學校真係好難
作者: DKmum    時間: 16-10-20 22:30

Natronma 發表於 16-10-20 22:02
而HK 亦好難,只得13個non judas 位!
作者: optimist    時間: 16-10-22 13:21

Natronma 發表於 16-10-20 22:02
有識人考DSE 少少失手(好似554-555) 不過一早報了UCAS 現在入了Keele讀physio 不過我唔係好知詳情
作者: mannewliv    時間: 16-10-28 14:04

optimist 發表於 16-10-22 13:21
有識人考DSE 少少失手(好似554-555) 不過一早報了UCAS 現在入了Keele讀physio 不過我唔係好知詳情 ...

英國一般比較出名既大學,好似都係3科elective要全5,達標就ok啦

作者: jitjitma    時間: 16-11-7 23:37

HHHR 發表於 16-10-20 00:46
回覆 jitjitma 的帖子

Economics係Social Science subject,所以照睇入學要求你囝囝係合資格報讀。不過英 ...

HHHR,
唔好意思,又要麻煩你,我地終於收到學校既predicted grade,分數係
中5*,英5,數5**,通5,phy 5*,econ 5*,M1 5**
呢個分數又可以點揀學校?LSE ? KCL ?
主要係econ,account,finance呢幾個範疇,又或者精算

作者: HHHR    時間: 16-11-8 01:40

回覆 jitjitma 的帖子

恭喜!囝囝預計成績十分出色,選校可以考慮進取D。可以考慮放手一搏Cambridge 或 LSE。

從你過往的帖子,估計囝囝或者未揸定主意。如果係咁,可以考慮First Degree唔讀專科,因為Account同Actuarial Science都係十分專門,入咗要回頭要付出比較大的代價,而且一D都唔易讀,唔係咁鍾意會好難捱,請提醒囝囝要真係諗清楚先好選讀。

精算Actuarial Science唔係每間英國大學都有,一般都係選Economics同Mathematics出色嘅大學,請参考以下有關Economics同Business嘅選校建議。有一點要小心,好多大學嘅Maths program都有可能要睇M2,但好多大學網頁嘅entry requirements都無講清楚,好似Bath就係其中一個例子。真係想報讀最好send email問清楚。

Economics, Account & Finance (A&F)同Business我嘅選校心水大致相同。首選係Warwick同LSE,如果讀Economics亦可考慮搏Cambridge。其餘2間我選Bath同Durham,如果讀A&F可考慮以Strathclyde取代前述2間其中一間,不過正如我以前講過,Strathclyde在英國以外名氣不足,我有D顧慮,特別係會返香港或亞洲發展。保險我選Nottingham,如果讀精算亦可考慮Southampton或Manchester作保險。

當囝囝選定一科,我地到時可以再傾詳細一D。

作者: jitjitma    時間: 16-11-8 07:35

HHHR 發表於 16-11-8 01:40
回覆 jitjitma 的帖子

恭喜!囝囝預計成績十分出色,選校可以考慮進取D。可以考慮放手一搏Cambridge 或 LS ...

多謝你咁快回覆,Cambridge 已過左deadline,LSE就IELTS 差少少,要再考。
你所指既 「first degrees 唔讀專科」,咁即係?management?有諗過KCL 既international management,唔知競爭大唔大,但其實佢唔多鐘意做presentation ,management 未必啱佢。

作者: adventure    時間: 16-11-8 10:07

Extended Project Qualification(EPQ),係咪好重要,對入大學有幫助?
作者: HHHR    時間: 16-11-8 19:31

回覆 jitjitma 的帖子

半夜回覆就會咁,掛一漏萬!抱歉忘了Cambridge要在10月中報名。

前一次回覆已想指出囝囝英文成績要考Top Unis略嫌遜色,尚幸還有時間,請囝囝努力一點準備IELTS同DSE英文考試。

First degree唔選專科是指選Economics 或 Business。個人我傾向選Economics,打好基本學術基礎再考慮2nd degree讀Account、Financial analysis或Actuarial Science等專科。

作者: jitjitma    時間: 16-11-8 22:15

HHHR 發表於 16-11-8 19:31
回覆 jitjitma 的帖子

半夜回覆就會咁,掛一漏萬!抱歉忘了Cambridge要在10月中報名。

哈哈,唔好意思,我太夜問問題。真心多謝你的回覆。
你的建議很有用

作者: HHHR    時間: 16-11-9 01:09

本帖最後由 HHHR 於 16-11-9 01:11 編輯

回覆 jitjitma 的帖子

漏咗講KCL International Management。

International Management 一般只有碩士課程,KCL 今年先開學士課程,係4年制,第3年要到外地大學上1年課,睇落幾吸引,但課程太新,無往績無口碑,好難講好唔好同競爭大唔大。不過KCL係英國名牌大學,Business School名列十大,相信要入讀有一定難度。

另外LSE只開MSc,Bath同Warwick就有開BSc,3間大學入學競爭激烈。

不過真係想讀同Business有關嘅International Management,何必捨近圖遠,UST科大同CUHK中大嘅Globe Business比英國名牌大學不遑多讓,個人覺得UST更是有過之而無不及。不過Globe Business係兩間大學嘅「神科」,你囝囝預計成績已經好好,但要爭到位仍有D難度,特別係英文最好有5*或5**。

作者: jitjitma    時間: 16-11-9 08:13

HHHR 發表於 16-11-9 01:09
回覆 jitjitma 的帖子

漏咗講KCL International Management。

之前已經睇過CU, UST 既global business, 同埋HKU 既IBGM,佢地收生少,尤其係JUPAS既位比 non JUPAS更少,所以競爭實在大得有d可怕

作者: HHHR    時間: 16-11-10 11:01

回覆 jitjitma 的帖子

由於係大學嘅「神科」,競爭自然厲害,不過DSE學生經JUPAS入本地大學始終有優先。你話NON-JUPAS位多過JUPAS位應該不可能,因為本地大學全是香港政府資助,必須以本港學生(主流學制,即HKDSE)為先。如果確有其事就係大學「犯規」,要向教育局投訴。

話說回來,報讀LSE、KCL等英國名牌大學的熱門科目一D都唔容易。我個人意見是請囝囝俾心機考好DSE,主攻中大及科大商學院,次選英國KCL、Warwick同Bath (如果覺得報考中大商學院都信心不大,LSE嘅機會都應該唔太好),並以Durham或Nottingham作保險,應該比較穩妥。

作者: jitjitma    時間: 16-11-10 14:17

HHHR 發表於 16-11-10 11:01
回覆 jitjitma 的帖子

由於係大學嘅「神科」,競爭自然厲害,不過DSE學生經JUPAS入本地大學始終有優先。你 ...

我仔去左HKU 個open day,IBGM個講座話左只收32人,JUPAS 只收13人,non JUPAS 則收19人!

另外想問港大的商學院是否三大中較遜色?

作者: WeiSB    時間: 16-11-10 14:29

jitjitma 發表於 16-11-10 14:17
我仔去左HKU 個open day,IBGM個講座話左只收32人,JUPAS 只收13人,non JUPAS 則收19人!

另外想問港大 ...

有朋友女兒今年經non-jupas入了IBGM,但A-Level成績要4A*才收

作者: katielui    時間: 16-11-11 17:13

本帖最後由 katielui 於 16-11-11 17:20 編輯

小女DSE英數生化理數1predicted grade 5*,5,5*,5*,5,5,死中文通識報了IC 的 medicine and medical bioscience,
UCL的 biomedical science
Oxford 的 biomedical science
和一個水抱,是否太搏呢?

作者: HHHR    時間: 16-11-13 00:25

本帖最後由 HHHR 於 16-11-13 00:32 編輯

回覆 jitjitma 的帖子

我囝囝係香港讀直資中學時有3個相熟同學剛好入了此3間大學商學院,根據佢覆述3位同學的評語,入讀CUHK同UST嘅2位同學十分滿意,只係功課壓力大教授要求高,讀得都幾辛苦。入咗HKU個位HKDSE成績最好,宜家有D後悔唔選UST。

上述只係3位同學的個人意見,有可能以偏蓋全。

作者: HHHR    時間: 16-11-13 00:27

回覆 katielui 的帖子

相對進取咗D,會唔會選一間Top Uni 2nd Tier,例如Bristol,平衡一下。
作者: HHHR    時間: 16-11-13 00:29

回覆 adventure 的帖子

Top Unis會睇,但比重唔高。
作者: katielui    時間: 16-11-13 23:01

HHHR 發表於 16-11-13 00:27
回覆 katielui 的帖子

相對進取咗D,會唔會選一間Top Uni 2nd Tier,例如Bristol,平衡一下。 ...
明白,多謝!可能要改改選擇!
作者: manning2014    時間: 16-11-14 12:09

回覆 katielui 的帖子

Why not choose medicine for other 2 uni too (UCL and Oxford) while you choose ICL medicine? You can choose up to 4 UK medical schools through UCAS.
作者: katielui    時間: 16-11-19 19:00

回覆 manning2014 的帖子

因為阿女考UKCAT考得唔得好,而佢自己唔想過英國面試,只有IC話有可能Skype interview !Oxbridge medic 就啥敢報,太神了!

作者: HHHR    時間: 16-11-20 03:06

回覆 katielui 的帖子

香港學生英國醫科畢業要回流香港執業困難得很,請小心考慮清楚。
作者: katielui    時間: 16-11-22 23:19

回覆 HHHR 的帖子

明白,我都想佢考到香港!不過真係好難!
作者: bigdaddy    時間: 16-11-28 14:00

請問各ching ctse, UCAS有沒有排第幾志愿的?
作者: Cai-Jianlin    時間: 16-11-28 15:21

作者: Hopefulmom    時間: 16-11-28 17:14     標題: 引用:喊出嚟

原帖由 Cai-Jianlin 於 16-11-28 發表
喊出嚟
Congratulations!!!!

作者: Cai-Jianlin    時間: 16-11-28 19:04

作者: Hopefulmom    時間: 16-11-28 22:48     標題: 引用:Quote:Hopefulmom+發表於+16-11-28+17:14+

原帖由 Cai-Jianlin 於 16-11-28 發表
This is not mine, I am still waiting
這段等待時間 ,真的不好受, 尤其是當身邊報讀同一大學,同樣課程的朋友也收到通知,而自己遲遲還未收到通知,真的令人很沮喪和擔憂。但大學其實是會分階段考慮申請,就算報讀同一課程,也絕對可能會在不同時期收到通知。 所以要保持正向思維,耐心等候。

希望你很快可以收到你報讀的大學的 offer。

作者: Hopefulmom    時間: 16-11-28 22:58     標題: 引用:請問各ching+ctse,+UCAS有沒有排第幾志愿的

原帖由 bigdaddy 於 16-11-28 發表
請問各ching ctse, UCAS有沒有排第幾志愿的?
你經 UCAS 報大學的時候,可以有五個選擇,這五個選擇是不分先後次序的。但當這些大學通知了你他們的決定,給了你  conditional offer 之後,你最後最多只可以挑選兩間大學,一個是 firm choice,另一個是 insurance choice.

作者: Cai-Jianlin    時間: 16-11-29 12:53

作者: mannewliv    時間: 16-11-30 13:08

Cai-Jianlin 發表於 16-11-28 19:04
This is not mine, I am still waiting
點解喊?

作者: Cai-Jianlin    時間: 16-11-30 14:25

作者: 888iphone4s    時間: 16-11-30 17:31

Cai-Jianlin 發表於 16-11-28 15:21
喊出嚟
淨係要求2 subjects? congra!
作者: Cai-Jianlin    時間: 16-11-30 17:33

作者: KITTY.WONG    時間: 16-12-3 23:51

如果收到''無條件''取錄,是否要交留位費?
作者: tangko    時間: 16-12-4 10:15

KITTY.WONG 發表於 16-12-3 23:51
如果收到''無條件''取錄,是否要交留位費?
如果個offer係正式uk大學year 1課程而不是foundation之類,應該只需要在ucas系統接納offer然後等大學發出cas文件去辦學生簽證。uk大學一般不會要求備取生預先繳交留位費的,通常大學只會要求學生經網上辦妥初步註冊後在開學前的指定時間內一次過或分2期繳付學費,可勁大學網上繳付系統或直接匯款到大學的指定銀行戶口便可。

作者: 888iphone4s    時間: 16-12-5 23:39

Manchester給了offer, 超高..........(用dse報

歡迎光臨 教育王國 (/) Powered by Discuz! X1.5