教育王國

標題: IBDP Bilingual Diploma [打印本頁]

作者: ANChan59    時間: 11-11-21 03:24     標題: IBDP Bilingual Diploma

Just for curiosity, IS, ESF & some IB DSS have any % or quota of IBDP bilingual diploma ..... not necessary Chinese and English, may be other combinations.

I heard about a school pushed her students >50% to bilingual diploma, do you think it's realistic? According to IBO, around 30% students awarded bilingual diploma, students' results may be affected or they must be very very good, but I doubt it.

A friend who knows IB more than I, shared with me that, if we consider IBDP results, we also need to consider the following:

1. actual scores out of 42 and 45;
2. bilingual diploma or not;
3. taking syllabus B or AB in group 2;
4. taking maths studies instead of maths; and
5. university destinations.

His rationale likes this: Score high in IBDP with bilingual diploma, it means take both languages as mother languages in A SL/HL, the results are impressive. Maths Studies is much much easier than Maths, but it's ok for non-numerate students, if more than half of students taking MS...... something fishy. The most important is university destinations, if the scores so high, but the universities not match with the results, something wrong of the combinations and most universities discount their subjects like Mandarin B/AB, Chinese B/AB......may not count.....

His comment is LPC still the best in HK, as top 50 high schools have high % of students get into Ivy League, only 2 out of US, one is LPC. [In late 2007, the Wall Street Journal identified the College as one of the world's top 50 schools for its success in preparing students to enter Ivy League universities, one of only 2 schools located outside the US. http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/info-COLLEGE0711-sort.html] It sounds interesting to me, but it's too late for my son.

I try to verify with some "elite" IS, ESF and LPC....    IS around 30% bilingual diploma, aligned with world average, ESF <30%, no data from LPC.

Criteria 1-5, up to you to research and analyse....you draw your own conclusion.

After review such facts, my son should take the following to get into medicine (forget about bilingual diploma):

English A L&L SL
Chinese B HL
Maths Studies SL
Chemistry HL
Physics SL
Economics HL

What do you think? It's cool ......

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-11-21 03:30 編輯 ]
作者: poonseelai    時間: 11-11-21 09:08

Do you know whether HKU requires students to take Phy, Chem and Bio in IBDP?  I heard a case where a girl who only took 2 out of these 3 subjects and scored 45 points in IB was eventually accepted by HKU medicine with a letter of recommendation from her school.  An alternative is for a student to apply to IB for special approval to take all 3 subjects in DP.
作者: WYmom    時間: 11-11-21 10:20

原帖由 ANChan59 於 11-11-21 03:24 發表
Just for curiosity, IS, ESF & some IB DSS have any % or quota of IBDP bilingual diploma ..... not necessary Chinese and English, may be other combinations.

I heard about a school pushed her students  ...

For most IB students in IS, they target at overseas universities, so no need to take bilingual diploma.  If they target at local universities in HK, then taking bilingual diploma (English A and Chinese A) will be better.  

The school pushing for 50% bilingual diploma - are the students mostly local Chinese?

Maths studies is too easy, so maybe only students who target at art faculties will take it.
作者: ANChan59    時間: 11-11-21 13:10     標題: 回覆 3# WYmom 的文章

The school pushing for 50% bilingual diploma - are the students mostly local Chinese?

[Yes, correct.]

Maths studies is too easy, so maybe only students who target at art faculties will take it.

[Not necessary, some aim for medicine with 2 science HL .......]
作者: ANChan59    時間: 11-11-21 13:16     標題: 回復 2# poonseelai 的帖子

Do you know whether HKU requires students to take Phy, Chem and Bio in IBDP?  

[No need, only Chemistry HL is compulsory, plus one more science subjects.]

I heard a case where a girl who only took 2 out of these 3 subjects and scored 45 points in IB was eventually accepted by HKU medicine with a letter of recommendation from her school.  

[that's normal track for IB.]

An alternative is for a student to apply to IB for special approval to take all 3 subjects in DP.

[I check the IB handbook, students can take min 6 subjects and max 7 and need advance approval from IBO. Take one more Science subject is not a great strategy, take 4 HL can be another options, but it not sensible to push the student without any clear advantage.]
作者: annie40    時間: 11-11-21 17:34

Hereunder is the exact % of students who were awarded the IB billigual diploma in 2011.

Island: 9.8%
South Island: 25%
West Island : 5.6%
KGV: 7.2%
Shatin: 6.6%
Renaissance: 59%
CIS : 35%
French International: 32%  (French+English)

作者: ANChan59    時間: 11-11-21 18:24     標題: 回覆 6# annie40 的文章

So50% is not unrealistic.......
作者: kym    時間: 11-11-21 20:06

I don't mind if my son score lower by 1 if he took chinese A, but 2 or more I might think differently.
作者: penguin_chick    時間: 11-11-21 21:25

I used to misunderstand the meaning of billingual IB as all of you.
Actually, billingual IB means if a student takes the language in group A, usaully his mother tongue, is different from the language used in group 3 and 4. So, it's no magic for  Hong Kong Chinese students to take billingual IBD.
They just need to take Chinese in group 1, they will get a billingual IBD.
作者: ANChan59    時間: 11-11-21 22:01     標題: 回覆 9# penguin_chick 的文章

We are talking about bilingual and also high IB scores as well.

If taking bilingual and only score less than 30, that's not our discussion. So some IB schools recommend their students to take B instead of A.
作者: ANChan59    時間: 11-11-21 22:02

原帖由 kym 於 11-11-21 20:06 發表
I don't mind if my son score lower by 1 if he took chinese A, but 2 or more I might think differently.

HL to SL, may up one point. For B, up 2 points.
作者: bobbycheung    時間: 11-11-21 23:29

With the exception of FIS, I wonder if the % also reflects more or less the percentage of Chinese students in each school.

原帖由 annie40 於 11-11-21 17:34 發表
Hereunder is the exact % of students who were awarded the IB billigual diploma in 2011.

Island: 9.8%
South Island: 25%
West Island : 5.6%
KGV: 7.2%
Shatin: 6.6%
Renaissance: 59%
CIS : 35%
French Int ...

作者: bobbycheung    時間: 11-11-22 01:28

If you are talking about the % of students going to Ivy League or the equivalent, then the best 2 IB schools in HK are LPC and CIS.  Their records are similar.  (HKIS did a lot better in this year but it had twice as many students as the other 2 schools and its past records are dismal.)

When one applies to the Ivy League, I don't think a bilingual diploma carries any weight especially when a Chinese students is doing Chinese/Mandarin as his 2nd language.  The situation is similar to a Chinese students getting grade 8 in piano.  Nowadays it's more difficult to find someone not having it.  Even top scores in IB and SAT are probably the minimum requirements only.  They will only give you an entrance ticket to the race.  Taking Harvard as an example, with 27,000 applications received annually (and most of them are already the top students in their own schools) and an admission rate of just 7%, Harvard does not make the decision by comparing amongst the applications.  They do it by a process of elimination.  They will go through your application with an aim to find fault so as to reduce the number of applications to a more manageable number.  So in the eyes of an Ivy League admission officer, criteria 1 to 4 may not be good attributes but rather sitting ducks for him to justify an elimination.  Anyway, one only has to go to College Confidential to see how cut-throat the competition is.  Having said that, LPC and CIS still manage to get so many students into Ivy League and the equivalent each year is truly amazing.  By the way, this is not an advertisement as I have no kids and do not know anybody studying in the above schools.  I only hope that other IB schools in HK will emulate and better these results.

or

作者: ANChan59    時間: 11-11-22 10:46     標題: 回復 13# bobbycheung 的帖子

Thanks Bobby

I got your point and in-line with my assumption, no point to push bilingual diploma as no one care.

Ivy League is not my son's target so far, but glad to know more info.....

ANChan59
作者: tingtingting    時間: 11-11-22 11:12

Went to the university admission briefing organised by our daughter's school's university admission and careers counselor the other day.  There were amongst us a few other parents who had sat in the interview panels of a few US universities (Carnegie Mellow, Yale, Cornell and UCLA).  The general consensus is that a bilingual  diploma does matter, but only when other factors being equal.  Generally, admission officers are more impressed by a 7 in English A (HL) from a HK student.  Good grade in some "hard" subjects (e.g. HL math, HL 2nd language, HL History, HL Economics and HL Music) is also generally recognised as evidence of a developed mind.  Unless one truly hates math, do math (SL) instead of MS.
作者: tingtingting    時間: 11-11-22 11:28

Forgot to add - most admission officers do not care about grades (the simple fact is that all the shortlisted have top grades).  It is the applicant's attitude, all-roundness and ability to impress that really counts.  A cheerful and positive 45-mark-student is more likely to get an offer from a top medical/law/business school than another 45-mark-student who looks like as if he has just exited from a funeral parlor, isn't it?
作者: bobbycheung    時間: 11-11-22 12:45

Nowadays the pressure is so intense that not only the students look like come out from a funeral parlor, the parents do as well.

原帖由 tingtingting 於 11-11-22 11:28 發表
Forgot to add - most admission officers do not care about grades (the simple fact is that all the shortlisted have top grades).  It is the applicant's attitude, all-roundness and ability to impress th ...

作者: annie40    時間: 11-11-23 13:00     標題: 回復 5# bobbycheung 的帖子

Hi Bobby,

Thank you for your information.  Very helpful. My daughter's teachers are forcing her to take billingual diploma , (ie taking Chinese as first language).  She's in dilemma to choose subjects right now.

I'm a very relaxed mom that I don't mind if she would go to ivy league or not.   Since she is always busy in sports competitiions, I hope she would decide to take French or Chinese as second language finally.

annie
作者: bobbycheung    時間: 11-11-23 14:05

Hi, annie,

To be honest, I don't know much about IB or Ivy League.  All the information I've got, I gleaned it from websites and the dozen of books I have on college admission.  I am certainly no expert.  You said the teachers are forcing your daughter to take Chinese (instead of French) with the aim of getting a bilingual diploma,  I wonder if they are doing it for the benefit of the school or, as they should, with your kid's interest in mind only.   Anyway, it's nice to know your daughter is also good in French.  Having another language as a choice is a luxury not many people can afford.

原帖由 annie40 於 11-11-23 13:00 發表
Hi Bobby,

Thank you for your information.  Very helpful. My daughter's teachers are forcing her to take billingual diploma , (ie taking Chinese as first language).  She's in dilemma to choose subject ...

[ 本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 11-11-23 14:09 編輯 ]
作者: Annie123    時間: 11-11-23 14:09

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
作者: bobbycheung    時間: 11-11-23 14:52

Annie123,

I understand that Language B is for students who have been learning the language for 2 to 3 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IB_Group_2_subjects

I wonder if it is true.  Let's say a student who has been learning French or German for 4 or 5 years, then he should take Language A which is a native or near native level.  I often wonder how a student like him could handle say French or German literature.
作者: annie40    時間: 11-11-23 15:23

Hi Bobby,

Thank you so much for your concern.  Yes, you're voicing out my doubt.  My daughter's Chinese is ok like ordinary people level in HK.  (ie 识字量一般, 文学修养欠奉). Also, her learning is nearly 90% from home and private tutoring.  That's much below the standard to take IB Chinese A (the examination paper is nearly harder than HKAL).  Someone told me that the students would need to do 4000-5000 wordings composition regularly.

If the teachers keep pushing too much, I would suggest her to take French as second language instead.

原帖由 bobbycheung 於 11-11-23 14:05 發表
Hi, annie,

To be honest, I don't know much about IB or Ivy League.  All the information I've got, I gleaned it from websites and the dozen of books I have on college admission.  I am certainly no exp ...

作者: annie40    時間: 11-11-23 15:28     標題: 回復 3# Annie123 的帖子

Annie123,

She's taking both French and Chinese at school.  It's no way for Chinese Department to determine her future path and career.

annie
作者: ANChan59    時間: 11-11-23 16:18     標題: 回復 20# Annie123 的帖子

That's what I observed in some schools really uphold the IBO standard, but also saw many schools are relaxed and more and more students go for B....... and not aim for bilingual. So some IS scored higher in IBDP exam as more than average students took B & MS....

Not just Chinese, also for French and other second languages.....
作者: Annie123    時間: 11-11-23 16:30     標題: 回復 23# annie40 的帖子

作者: annie40    時間: 11-11-23 19:25

Once again, thank you for the advice.

My daughter studied in a French School long ago so she just keeps learning it as one of interesting subjects continually.  Have fun and widen the mind only.

However, she loves Chinese culture that she enjoys  history like '三国' , '岳飞' ,   武则天等.  I do believe she would take Chinese on priority.  I would meet her Chinese teacher again for further discussion.

annie

原帖由 Annie123 於 11-11-23 16:30 發表
I understand.

Did they say why she cannot take Chinese B?

French is so much easier to handle for international school students, and particularly as long as she is not doing French A, it is going to  ...

作者: tongyimtong    時間: 11-11-23 21:55

回復 25#Annie123 的帖子

很同意,閣下對入IVY LEAGUE的學校的心得和我一個美國親戚說的一樣。她的女兒在YALE畢業,兒子在Columbia讀醫。她的子女在Palo Alton的著名中學畢業,成績不是最突出,但和大部份同學一樣入了東岸的名大學。她告訴我,這些著名中學最主要訓練學生的leadership。她的兒女在中學自創了一個義工計劃,並灌澈執行了三年。其間不斷招收其他同學參與,並曾獲傳媒報導。

我想美國的教育成功在此。我們每年有大把會考十A生,大學年年有幾千畢業生。但數十年來,較成功的科研人才和學者, 全是外國回流的人。我們的教育,成績最好的都只會選醫科和金融學系。我沒有見過會選文科的尖子。但我認識一個英國A level的5A*男生選擇到劍橋大學讀英國文學。他的目標是到第三世界國家推廣教育。

可能是我們的心態太功利,只想小孩的事業前途,往往忽略了教育背後的真正義意。最後教出了一個成績分數很高的學生,但眼界視野狹窄的人。

其實有時又點到人計算,你以為一路安排條好路比子女,精心計算他們的出路和事業。可能最終會白費心機都未定。
作者: Annie123    時間: 11-11-23 22:32     標題: 回覆 26# annie40 的文章

作者: Annie123    時間: 11-11-23 22:48     標題: 回覆 27# tongyimtong 的文章

作者: ANChan59    時間: 11-11-23 22:55

My son has a dilemma, he prefers medicine as first choice, economics finance and BBA(Law) as second priority.

If aim for medicine, he should downgrade Chinese from A to B, he can keep his finger cross. If he also aim for like BBA(Law), then he must stick to A [under the condition he likes to study in HK for the first degree.]
作者: tingtingting    時間: 11-11-24 09:46

If aim for medicine, he should downgrade Chinese from A to B, he can keep his finger cross. If he also aim for like BBA(Law), then he must stick to A [under the condition he likes to study in HK for the first degree.]

Not sure I understand you correctly. Is HKU so serious about Chinese that they expect your son to do Chinese A?  I tend to think English A at HL will give your son an edge if he apples to the law school.
作者: bobbycheung    時間: 11-11-24 10:45

Now I have looked at various school's IB handbooks/guides.  

LPC's handbook says "Language B is for students who have a reasonable background in the language, but who are not native speakers and who do not yet have the fluency of Language A speakers.... Students will normally have studied the language previously for 3-5 years".

http://www.lpcuwc.edu.hk/uploads/0201/06/Academic-Course-Handbook-2011-12.pdf

CDNIS's handbooks says "Language B
(French) programme, is tailored to the needs and the abilities of students who have a sound knowledge of the language."

http://cispa.hk/wp-content/uploads/cispa-pdf/Handbook_2011-08-18.pdf

South Island School's handbook says "IB Language B is a two-year language acquisition course aimed at students who have taken IGCSE or have reached an equivalent standard in another educational system.....  Higher Level students will be expected to have 4 or 5 years experience of learning the language and to have reached a high standard of oral and written accuracy by the end of Year 11. Standard Level students will be expected to have studied the language for a minimum of three years prior to Year 12.

http://www.sis.edu.hk/sites/sis/files/Senior%20School%20Curriculum%20Handbook%202011-2013.pdf

So does it mean there is no fixed requirement from the IB organisation and each school may set its own guideline (which is subject to rather subjective interpretation by the school's own teachers)?
作者: bobbycheung    時間: 11-11-24 10:49

annie,

I came across this by accident.  South Island School's handbook says "Chinese students taking Language B Chinese need to be aware
that this may not be considered to be a foreign language by some universities."

http://www.sis.edu.hk/sites/sis/files/Senior%20School%20Curriculum%20Handbook%202011-2013.pdf

I thought this may be of interest to you.

原帖由 annie40 於 11-11-23 15:23 發表
Hi Bobby,

Thank you so much for your concern.  Yes, you're voicing out my doubt.  My daughter's Chinese is ok like ordinary people level in HK.  (ie 识字量一般, 文学修养欠奉). Also, her learning is n ...

作者: tingtingting    時間: 11-11-24 11:10

Thanks Bobby.  That's interesting.  I know quite a few Chinese kids at CIS doing Chinese B (some HL and some SL).  Seems that they do not share the same concern of the South Island's teacher.

By the way, the warning made by the South Island's teachers may well be the reason behind one of my colleagues' daughter doing English A(HL), Chinese B (SL) and French (AB) as a 7th subject. (She is a native Chinese but prefer English to Chinese, and she speaks perfect French.)

[ 本帖最後由 tingtingting 於 11-11-24 11:11 編輯 ]
作者: bobbycheung    時間: 11-11-24 11:27

tingtingting,

The 7th subject?  Isn't doing 6 subjects the maximum?  So people can do 7 subjects.  I hope that's the maximum.    She speaks perfect French, but yet she is doing French (AB).  So I guess the schools and the students can pretty much decide what they want to do regardless of the rules.  Right?

原帖由 tingtingting 於 11-11-24 11:10 發表
Thanks Bobby.  That's interesting.  I know quite a few Chinese kids at CIS doing Chinese B (some HL and some SL).  Seems that they do not share the same concern of the South Island's teacher.

By the ...

[ 本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 11-11-24 11:32 編輯 ]
作者: WYmom    時間: 11-11-24 11:29     標題: 回復 2# bobbycheung 的帖子

It is obviously very reasonable for universities to ignore Chinese B as foreign language if the student is a Chinese...

I think that students should choose subjects according to their capabilities and interest more than just study some obviously easier subjects for getting higher scores... good universities obviously will know such tricks and will be able to select the type of students they prefer.

[ 本帖最後由 WYmom 於 11-11-24 11:32 編輯 ]
作者: ANChan59    時間: 11-11-24 11:39

原帖由 tingtingting 於 11-11-24 09:46 發表

Not sure I understand you correctly. Is HKU so serious about Chinese that they expect your son to do Chinese A?  I tend to think English A at HL will give your son an edge if he apples to the law sc ...

Chinese law is a critical component in the business world of HK, it make sense to me. I agreed HL in English is better, the difference between SL may be only one score point.

I chatted to him last night and he may give up Law ultimately. It's difficult to juggle so many balls at the same time. He will chat with the IB coordinator and convince him that my son can change from A to B right after the 1st term examination. He also rethink some 2nd priority programs and drop those programs may need Chinese as first language.
作者: tingtingting    時間: 11-11-24 12:06     標題: 回復 35# bobbycheung 的帖子

Yes, one can do 7 subjects but it is not advisable in most cases.  In my colleague's daughter's case, she can call both French at AB level and Chinese B a piece of cake.  English A (HL) is also no big deal to her.
作者: annie40    時間: 11-11-24 14:11

Bobby,

多谢您的提点, 真正唔话得!

其实規則是由人家定的, 鬼老喜欢怎样演绎和理解中国人读Chinese B 作为'second languages' and English A (HL) 的难度就由他吧!  反正因为印度,中国,亚洲学生读书太出色, 他们老早把收取亚洲学生的入学要求提高了.  

我是个很实际又有阿Q精神的妈妈, 如果'有幸'小女如是读书材料, ivy leagues 又依依哦哦, 唔多想收也好, 留在香港读first degree, 节省大笔金钱, 还多点机会进修中文.一举两得.  

我想中国人学中文是重要的'寻根'意义, 是否考试科目並不重要. 西方的想法也天天在变, 听闻英美今天的热门外语是'Chinese' .  

annie

原帖由 bobbycheung 於 11-11-24 10:49 發表
annie,

I came across this by accident.  South Island School's handbook says "Chinese students taking Language B Chinese need to be aware
that this may not be considered to be a foreign language by so ...

作者: Annie123    時間: 11-11-24 14:38

作者: bobbycheung    時間: 11-11-24 14:56     標題: 回復 40# Annie123 的帖子

Thanks, Annie123.

I am a bit apprehensive because my kid's Chinese language sucks (which is the way she describes it and she is right, for once!).  By the time she does her IB, she would have learned another foreign language for way over 5 years, but she is nowhere near the native level.  If she is not allowed to do Language B, then I guess she will have to take yet a 3rd foreign Language Ab Initio.  That's my worry.
作者: Annie123    時間: 11-11-24 14:59

作者: WYmom    時間: 11-11-24 15:57     標題: 回復 3# Annie123 的帖子

Hi, Annie123,

For language subjects, my kid's school gives very fair recommendations to my child and we have no objections.  But for group 6 subjects, the school this year strongly asks the students to choose one subject from that group, failing that has to provide satisfactory reasons.  Is this also the same in your child's school?

My child objects to this strongly as she does not like to study any of those subjects in group 6 and she worries that the school does not accept her reasons based on interest.
作者: tingtingting    時間: 11-11-24 16:30     標題: 回覆 42# Annie123 的文章

If a students has learnt a language before and particularly you said that this girl is good at the language, she should not be allowed to take ab initio. But, well, what can I say. Great power comes with great responsibilities. The IBO gives the power to the schools and it looks like some schools are misusing it.

Can't fault the girl for picking up a third language too quickly.  BTW, The school teaches French at B and Ab levels. As she is already doing Chinese B (partly due to her mother), she does French at Ab level.
作者: Annie123    時間: 11-11-24 16:32

作者: tingtingting    時間: 11-11-24 16:34

But for group 6 subjects, the school this year strongly asks the students to choose one subject from that group, failing that has to provide satisfactory reasons.

Good to hear to some schools take group 6 seriously.  I'm told by more than one admission officers that amongst a group of of 44/45 students, the ones with a group 6 subject catch more attention.  My colleague's girl is doing music.
作者: Annie123    時間: 11-11-24 16:36     標題: 回覆 44# tingtingting 的文章

作者: tingtingting    時間: 11-11-24 16:49

The girl knew some Latin when she was young (used to live in Kent, England). Picked up French some two years ago (or a little more) and became good at it in no time (I'm sure her Latin background helps).  Why is it not legitimate for her to do French ab?
作者: WYmom    時間: 11-11-24 16:55

原帖由 Annie123 於 11-11-24 16:32 發表
I have not heard about forcing students to take a Group 6 subject.
At my daughter school, Group 6 is always popular, especially music. This year they are introducing film because of demand.
Can you sa ...

yes, my daughter's school has "Film" added this year too.  But as there is no precedent, seems quite risky to take this.
作者: annie40    時間: 11-11-24 16:55

My girl's school states :

it's expected that student take a named Arts subject in Group 6 to match the IBO philosophy of ensuring curriculum breadth across the six subject groups.  Therefore students will need to provide the upper school team with a strong rationals linked to university entrance or future career path as to why they might use Group 6 for an elective block for a second subject.  

The expectation seems very reasonable and I would encourage my girl to follow it even arts subjects are not her most favorite one.  

原帖由 WYmom 於 11-11-24 15:57 發表
Hi, Annie123,

For language subjects, my kid's school gives very fair recommendations to my child and we have no objections.  But for group 6 subjects, the school this year strongly asks the students  ...

作者: Annie123    時間: 11-11-24 17:02     標題: 回復 49# WYmom 的帖子

作者: annie40    時間: 11-11-25 16:09

Annie123,

Chinese teachers confirmed that my girl  can take Chinese 1st languages in IGCSE in year 10.  After seeing the result  she can consider to go either Chinese B , or Chinese A in IB then.   

Anyway, it's wonderful that she can choose what she wants.

annie

原帖由 Annie123 於 11-11-23 22:32 發表
看,要小朋友讀書好,興趣多重要。
其實如果學校讓他讀 CHINESE B,應該是最好的選擇。

作者: WYmom    時間: 11-11-25 16:37     標題: 回覆 2# Annie123 的文章

My daughter may take 2 humanities or 2 Science subjects... still thinking.  Language subjects will be English A and Chinese A for sure.
作者: annie40    時間: 11-11-25 17:01

Wow, your girl must be very smart to take both languages A.  

原帖由 WYmom 於 11-11-25 16:37 發表
My daughter may take 2 humanities or 2 Science subjects... still thinking.  Language subjects will be English A and Chinese A for sure.

作者: WYmom    時間: 11-11-25 17:52     標題: 回復 1# annie40 的帖子

I don't know if it is difficult for her or not, but her teacher already advised that she should start reading some Chinese materials for preparing IB Chinese A now even she has to take GCSE exam a few months later.  Yet  I don't think my daughter will have time to start any IB stuff now!
作者: kym    時間: 11-11-25 19:19

WYmon,

May I know why your daughter need to take GCSE exam? Since you have made the decision of doing IB.

Kym
作者: WYmom    時間: 11-11-25 21:04

原帖由 kym 於 11-11-25 19:19 發表
WYmon,

May I know why your daughter need to take GCSE exam? Since you have made the decision of doing IB.

Kym

It is the system of all ESF secondary schools, they have to take GCSE and then IBD; except the 2 PIS schools (RC and DC) under ESL which are using MYP and IBD.

[ 本帖最後由 WYmom 於 11-11-25 21:17 編輯 ]
作者: sks222    時間: 11-11-25 23:34

小兒与Annie123的女兒同校, 他希望完成DP后到美国讀心理学。 下星期便要交 DP Option form,  初步他打算選:

Psychology     HL
Biology           HL
Theatre           HL
English A         SL
Chinese A       SL
Maths             SL

请对他的選择給点意见, 谢谢!
作者: kym    時間: 11-11-26 10:15     標題: 回復 57# WYmom 的帖子

I see, thanks for the reply.
作者: Annie123    時間: 11-11-26 11:18     標題: 回復 58# sks222 的帖子

作者: Annie123    時間: 11-11-26 11:32

作者: ANChan59    時間: 11-11-26 13:54

WYmom & Annie123

If your daughters aim for bilingual diploma - both Chinese and English are A HL/SL, what do you expect of their grades in Chinese and English and overall.

Pls pm me your expectation.

ANChan59
作者: WYmom    時間: 11-11-26 14:58     標題: 回覆 2# Annie123 的文章

Annie123, thanks a lot for your info. my daughter only likes playing and have fun...Ha!  She will likely take Physics, Geog, and one more to be decided...

ANChan59,

I of course expect her to score high...but difficult to tell... anyway, we follow her teachers' recommendation as her teachers are very experienced and can offer very clear and fair recommendation based on students' GCSE results.  I don't know IBD well, so just rest assured with the school.
作者: Annie123    時間: 11-11-27 00:37     標題: 回覆 62# ANChan59 的文章

作者: Annie123    時間: 11-11-27 00:40     標題: 回復 63# WYmom 的帖子

作者: sks222    時間: 11-11-27 00:42

Annie123,

非常感激你的回复, 我本提议他 English A 读 HL, Theatre 读 SL, 但他较有把握Theatre 拿高分,兴趣也非常大。

我上了几间大学的网站都找不到它们的Admission Requirements, 你可以将你知道需要English A HL 的 Arts/Humanities faculites 告知我吗?

谢谢!!
作者: Annie123    時間: 11-12-10 15:34

作者: ksenia    時間: 11-12-22 15:11

Maths Studies is definitely not enough to get into medicine in Hong Kong. They won't even consider it according to LPC's university counselor. My daughter has the same problem as her maths is not very good. However she managed to get a achievement grade 6 for Chinese in her first term and 5 for her English HL. Achievement grade is based on your tests but not predicted. She is confident to get a PG 7 for Chinese and will drop English to SL. That's why we still stick on Maths Standard.

歡迎光臨 教育王國 (/) Powered by Discuz! X1.5