密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 IB DON'T take Chinese B HL
樓主: FS
go

IB DON'T take Chinese B HL   [複製鏈接]

41#
發表於 14-12-4 01:15 |只看該作者
Will it be more favourable in choosing Chinese B other than European lang B for getting into Hong Kong Uni ?

42#
發表於 14-12-4 09:52 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 Artie 於 14-12-4 10:11 編輯
kingkongdaddy 發表於 14-12-4 01:15
Will it be more favourable in choosing Chinese B other than European lang B for getting into Hong Ko ...

Non-jupas admission is never transparent. Universities have freedom to change admission policy every year to meet their needs, so no one can tell you for sure. We can only base on past records we heard or know. It appears that some people tend to try finding something to blame for their rejections.
The truth is, there have been students that got  offers with Chinese B. At the same time, there were people that were rejected even with Chinese A. So I guess universities look at applicants as a whole. They may also look at the college essay, student profile, interviews, etc.As regards to Chinese B vs European Lang B, it is hard to say for sure because of the same reasons. We cannot tell for sure why someone was rejected. In any case, there have been students that did get offer with a non chinese group 2 language.
To be honest, asking which is preferred may not really help. If I were the admission officer, I of course would always prefer someone that are doing both English A and Chinese A. However, I am at the same time not bound or limited to take only these students.

43#
發表於 14-12-4 10:01 |只看該作者
FS 發表於 14-12-3 22:08
The main messages from School Counsellor in choosing subjects are :-

a.        The structure and wo ...

Which subjects are considered "easy" by your counsellor?

Why are none of the students taking English A HL?

Has the counsellor explained to students the how to choose the 3 HL subjects?

44#
發表於 14-12-4 11:41 |只看該作者
I think it's all subject to the value judgement of the uni admission officers of whether they think it is fairer to accept those Chinese students taking Chinese B.  

I think the judgement of the AO vary from time to time, and from person to person.

45#
發表於 14-12-4 12:21 |只看該作者
回覆 FS 的帖子

This year, my son's classmate just got a conditional offer from Imperial College. She is taking Chinese B HL as the 3rd HL subject. She is a Chinese too. So it's not a conclusive observation that Chinese B leads to rejection.

46#
發表於 14-12-4 13:19 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 webeheld 於 14-12-4 13:20 編輯
FS 發表於 14-12-2 18:33

好流,美國的大學係唔會比conditional offer,亦唔會點care你讀咩科 (they consider whether your HS curriculum is of the highest level of rigor - in this case, for most schools, a student studying the IBDP would qualify for that automatically) 而且去到Columbia(Berkeley亦然)的級數的話,每年在港收生的數目是有quota限額的(Columbia等Ivy league名校大概5人),基本上PG低過43亦唔會有機會(再而且,爆PG是第一關,之後SAT/課外活動/essay等才重要),同埋,選甚麼major亦對收生決定沒有影響

47#
發表於 14-12-4 13:26 |只看該作者
以去年一所提供IB課程的本地學校為例,不少修讀chi B HL或SL的學生的offer包括了LSE Law, Georgetown, CUHK QFAA, HKU GLaw, HKU Law, CUHK Medicine等等⋯⋯因此generally speaking選科是對收生結果沒有影響的

48#
發表於 14-12-4 16:55 |只看該作者

回覆:webeheld 的帖子

我都同意,不能一刀切,好多時,當事人透露 rejection 的理由,不一定是事實的全部。

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

49#
發表於 14-12-4 18:09 |只看該作者
Dear all moms,

In the past years, I have learnt a lot from this forum. I always get some valuable suggestions from you moms. Million thanks !  

Now, my kid will choose subjects for IBDP exam. Just like you, I will care about the subject selection as it will affect their career path. I have participated in the recent information day of local Us and our school to gather more information.

From the very beginning, I just want to share some concerns on the choice of Chinese B HL to alert the Moms. It is just a friendly reminder from the bottom of my heart.

However, I received a lot of queries, challenges via pm. Like how can you prove ? What is the evidence ? How to substantiate your statement? What is your secondary school ? How to contact you ? Do you have any more data?  and so on so on ? Some of these queries made me anxious and afraid. I do not want to argue on this issue anymore.

I am sorry that I cannot answer all your queries one by one. I have already written down all what I know and my comments in the forum.

Please accept my apology if my wording made you unhappy.
Please accept my apology if you do not like my comment.  
Please accept my apology as my English is not good enough and cannot deliver the message concisely and accurately.
You may simply ignore what I said and treat it as another rumor.

Last but not least, wishing all our kids to be success in studying and future career.

FS

50#
發表於 14-12-4 20:36 |只看該作者
FS 發表於 14-12-4 18:09
Dear all moms,

In the past years, I have learnt a lot from this forum. I always get some valuable s ...
A lot of people are just like me - 噏得就噏。 So don't take what we say so seriously.  As long as you are not making things up and the sharing is done with the intent of benefiting others, that's fine.  Rumours and hearsays etc are OK as we will all make our own investigation and judgment.

51#
發表於 14-12-5 18:03 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 wilsonyeung813 於 14-12-5 18:05 編輯

Not sure if this is true. It is not conclusive that local unis like HKU and CUHK do not accept CHINESE students taking chinese B.

I was from a local school and transferred to a IS after F4 (was ranked like over 100 out of 160 in F4 sosad, fwiw its a famous but declining Band 1B-C boys school). i took Chinese B HL and was rejected by both CUHK and HKU (social sciences) when i applied in dec.. after the release of results, I appealed to both universities and was accepted.. this is a clear evidence that local universities do accept local Chinese students even if they transfer from local schools to ISs.

i also know three classmates who got into HKU Law and information systems by taking Chinese B SL. (they are Chinese, but studied in IS since yr 1)

anyway, its harder and harder to get into "big 3" through non-jupas nowadays as there are more IB kids. back in 2012 or sth, the conditional offer for HKU social science was 34 pts, now 36 pts.  (heard the offer was even lower, like 32 or sth b4 2012, not sure if its true though) So im not surprised if the admission policy on local Chinese students will become tighter and more rigorous in the future. Chinese B HL (which is like P.6 CHINESE LOL) may not be preferred in the future..

its still easier to get into "big 3" non-competitive programs (so sci, sci, normal BBA, engine, etc) through IB in comparison to DSE. no way i can get into hku so sci if i took DSE lol... (may not even get into "big 8", not exaggerating)

(HKU So Sci IB conditional offer: 36, ~80% percentile, DSE So Sci minimum: 26, ~95% percentile, so unfair to DSE candidates)

52#
發表於 14-12-6 18:57 |只看該作者
bobbycheung 發表於 14-12-4 20:36
A lot of people are just like me - 噏得就噏。 So don't take what we say so seriously.  As long as yo ...
冇人噏得就噏,是那位School counselor 的資料太奇異,明明美國大學唔會出 conditional offer,那位 school counselor 是無心之失寫錯 UC Berkeley 及 Columbia 出 CO 還是什麼?加上有實例中文B也有好大學收,大家回應是想真心探討是否中文B死硬,事實國際學校學生不可能個個考中文A拿 bilingual diploma

53#
發表於 14-12-6 19:22 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 14-12-6 19:30 編輯
caa 發表於 14-12-6 18:57
冇人噏得就噏,是那位School counselor 的資料太奇異,明明美國大學唔會出 conditional offer,那位 school ...

噏得就噏係指有D人講野, 得罪人多, 稱呼人少。

54#
發表於 14-12-7 12:03 |只看該作者
caa 發表於 14-12-6 18:57
冇人噏得就噏,是那位School counselor 的資料太奇異,明明美國大學唔會出 conditional offer,那位 school ...

Yes. I have same feeling. The counsellor is not providing genuine information.

He definitely has is agenda. He seems to be pushing students to do either bilingual diploma or choosing a european language instead. He stresses chinese b is not generally acceptable by universities. In the end since chinese a is so hard, I think the majority of students would choose european language ab initio. And since ab initio is very easy, the grades would be high. This is probably a strategy of the school trying to push for a higher school average.

While I do believe, local universities might have certain views of student with local school background taking chinese b (local school students should indeed take chinese a), I do not believe universities in the uk or the us care as much.

55#
發表於 14-12-7 15:17 |只看該作者
nintendo 發表於 14-12-7 12:03
Yes. I have same feeling. The counsellor is not providing genuine information.

He definitely has i ...
The counsellor is a Chinese or a foreigner? It may make a difference.
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

56#
發表於 14-12-16 14:32 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

57#
發表於 14-12-16 16:25 |只看該作者

58#
發表於 14-12-17 12:17 |只看該作者
事實上冇可能全部人bilingual diploma,如能力所及,鬼唔知呀媽係女人,中文A一定冇死,不用School Counselor 都識講。
在國際學校讀書的學生接觸中文確是比英文少,冇可能個個第二語言(Group 2)也一定是A(即 native 程度),不如advise 中國人不要讀國際學校?or should the School Counselor advise the board not to let the school take IB?

59#
發表於 14-12-17 13:25 |只看該作者

60#
發表於 14-12-17 14:47 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 caa 於 14-12-17 15:26 編輯
KoWY72 發表於 14-12-17 13:25
那School Consellor的意見很清晰,中國人在中國城市長大不宜揀中文language B,硬要揀也不代表入不到名大學 ...

Not sure what grade's parents that School Counselor was addressing to. it can't possibly be up to the parents or students to choose chinese or other modern language if the kids are already past lower secondary and they have never learnt modern language other than chinese. So maybe the School Counselor better advise the school to require every chinese student to learn either French, Spanish, German etc if the students' chinese can't be at native level given the international school's first language is english
‹ 上一主題|下一主題