用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Waht is the different of Waitlist entry interview an ...
發新帖
查看: 3954|回覆: 15
go

Waht is the different of Waitlist entry interview and 1st round interview? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 10-11-24 09:24 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
What is the portion?
   0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 10-11-24 09:58 |只看該作者

difference

You child will be granted a place if he/she passes the 1st round interview.
Your child needs to wait for someone else to give up the place in the 1st round offer although he/she has passed the 1st round waitlist entry interview. It simply implies that no first round offer will be given to the successful candidates who are under this category.
Some Chinese parents claim their children don't know Chinese in the application forms and that's why some of them manage to get the 1st round interview chance

3#
發表於 10-11-24 10:32 |只看該作者
Is it simply means that 1st round interview is for Cat 1 child while waitlist interview is for Cat 2 child?
原帖由 victoriarosary 於 10-11-24 09:58 發表
You child will be granted a place if he/she passes the 1st round interview.
Your child needs to wait for someone else to give up the place in the 1st round offer although he/she has passed the 1st rou ...

4#
發表於 10-11-24 10:58 |只看該作者
Some Cat 2 parents who claim their children speak English ONLY are given the 1st round interview but not the 1st round waitlist entry interview. So, you can't say that the 1st round is for Cat 1 students only.

5#
發表於 10-11-24 11:31 |只看該作者
We went through the P1 interview "saga" at the beginning of this year. My experience is:

- as long as your kid shows that he/she is very comfortable communicating in English and follows instructions during the interview, she/he can pass the interview.

- if your kid during the interview shows that he/she is more interested in communicating in Cantonese and not interested in speaking in English, that could be a worry.

- we know there were parents who lied about their kid's ability in speaking Cantonese. if the primary school found out the kid could actually speak good Cantonese, then the kid is placed at the back of the wait-list automatically.

- we also knew some Cat 2 kids who were offered a "wait-list" interview and performed very well in the interview and then got the acceptance letter in the first round without having to wait.

All of the above were all for last year, and I don't know if these will still be in effect this year. Just for your reference.

I guess, there is no point lying whether your kid can speak Cantonese or not, because the interviewers can find out anyway.

[ 本帖最後由 alpham0m 於 10-11-24 13:46 編輯 ]

6#
發表於 10-11-24 12:55 |只看該作者

you are right

alpham
I agree that there's no point lying to the schools. I was just surprised to find that so many parents indicate that their children can speak English only in the application forms though both parents are not native English speakers.

7#
發表於 10-11-24 13:05 |只看該作者
I know...people do things in order to get things they want, I suppose.

May be they did not lie...they just seriously did not speak to the kid in Cantonese and intentionally making "English" their kid's first language. So technically, they did not lie.

Whether anyone else thinks this is the right/correct/best decision, well, who are we to judge? Because that is a family decision...I guess...

8#
發表於 10-11-24 15:17 |只看該作者
原帖由 alpham0m 於 10-11-24 11:31 發表
- we know there were parents who lied about their kid's ability in speaking Cantonese. if the primary school found out the kid could actually speak good Cantonese, then the kid is placed at the back of the wait-list automatically.  ...

How come you knew such interesting arrangement?
Do u know some parents in these cases?
What were the final results after being placed at the end of the waitlist???
Thanks for your sharing...

9#
發表於 10-11-24 15:50 |只看該作者
Among parents who went through the whole interview drama at the beginning of this year. The particular one you are interested to know was not a first-hand information.

10#
發表於 10-11-25 13:32 |只看該作者

回覆 1# alpham0m 的文章

My second child was in the priority of Category 2 because my elder son was studying in an ESF primary school. Even so, since we honestly declared that we spoke both Cantonese and English at home, we didn't even have a chance for an interview!

However, a friend of mine claimed that they only spoke English at home when filling in the form. Result? Their daughter was put in Category 1. But since she had got an offer in a through-train local kindergarten, they didn't attend the play visit. You know what, the ESF kindergarten called them 2 or 3 times urging them to play a visit to the school, hoping to meet the kid. The mother even felt annoyed because she had turned them down once but still received calls.

I called the school because it's not fair. But we can't do anything to change their policy. Later, we received emails asking those who're still on waiting lists to apply for a place in Woo Kai Sha instead.

Now while my eldest child is in ESF, another one has to go to a local kinder.

Anyway, I still don't agree to cheat.

11#
發表於 10-11-25 13:52 |只看該作者
Are you talking about Kindy? I think we are talking about P1 interview invitation.  I think the situation is quite different.
原帖由 smlsml 於 10-11-25 13:32 發表
My second child was in the priority of Category 2 because my elder son was studying in an ESF primary school. Even so, since we honestly declared that we spoke both Cantonese and English at home, we d ...

12#
發表於 10-11-25 14:15 |只看該作者
The case that I know is similar but the little girl was 'disqualitifed' rather than placing at the end of the waiting list (it stated in the email).  I don't agree we should lie and I won't.  However, there are and will continue to have parents doing the same thing, its just making the system unhealthy.
原帖由 alpham0m 於 10-11-24 13:05 發表
I know...people do things in order to get things they want, I suppose.

May be they did not lie...they just seriously did not speak to the kid in Cantonese and intentionally making "English" their kid ...

13#
發表於 10-11-25 14:33 |只看該作者
Yeah, what goes around comes around and it might come back to haunt you in another way. It might look like you get what you want in the first glance, but if the kid's first language really isn't English then he or she might run into heaps of problem at school later on...who knows...

Honesty is the best policy but there are always people who are looking for the loopholes and beat the system in this world no matter where you go.

14#
發表於 10-11-25 16:21 |只看該作者
I wish ESF teachers are wise enough to screen out all "fake" Cat. 1 applicants.
It will be fair enough to honest parents.
I still wonder why no. of cat.1 applicants have been shooting up in these years...

15#
發表於 10-11-25 20:21 |只看該作者
My husband and I are holding the HKSAR passport.  We don't have any relationship with ESF.  We showed on my son's form with both fluent english and cantonese, but i still get the 1st round interview!

16#
發表於 10-11-25 22:01 |只看該作者
cause some of them  claimed that they only spoke English at home when filling in the form (both at ESF kinder or outside kinders).
原帖由 oooray 於 10-11-25 16:21 發表
I wish ESF teachers are wise enough to screen out all "fake" Cat. 1 applicants.
It will be fair enough to honest parents.
I still wonder why no. of cat.1 applicants have been shooting up in these year ...
‹ 上一主題|下一主題