用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 Strategy get into hot professional programs in the U ...
樓主: ANChan59
go

Strategy get into hot professional programs in the University

發表於 11-6-28 09:22 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 ksenia 於 11-6-28 07:31 發表

may i know where to find internships for secondary students? my daughter is going to be F5 now but she can only find internships that recruit undergrads.

My suggestions:

1. Through your gangxi is the key, most go for university students
2. Go for shadowing, she may not have hand-on training experience, just understand the job, observe and paperwork only.
3. Insurance is a big concern - age, can't work in Lab or operate machine.
4. Prepare a CV, all request an impressive CV.
5. Just job exposure, go for fast food chain, clothes chain....... not necessary high profile companies.
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

發表於 11-6-28 19:23 |顯示全部帖子

回復 61# ANChan59 的帖子

Thanks for your advice. She just got a job as a sales and will find some more jobs on teaching young children(like teaching piano and Putonghua). However, her future career is either in the medical or the business field...

發表於 11-6-28 19:55 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 ksenia 於 11-6-28 19:23 發表
Thanks for your advice. She just got a job as a sales and will find some more jobs on teaching young children(like teaching piano and Putonghua). However, her future career is either in the medical or ...

Medical is not easy, you can go to Queen Mary Hospital website and check the attachment program. You can download a form to apply, they said you need to apply 6 weeks before the attachment start. I know every year have hundreds applicants and around 50 vacancies, included clinical, lab, research, science, administration and finance, operation posts.......

Business is much easier....

發表於 11-6-28 20:05 |顯示全部帖子

回復 63# ANChan59 的帖子

Thanks! The QM attachment is pretty useful! Well my daughter refused to work in my husband's firm as she wants to earn 'real money', not the one given by us. We are finding jobs for her.

發表於 11-6-28 20:11 |顯示全部帖子
oops just found out that the attachment program is for F6 or above

發表於 11-6-28 20:20 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 ksenia 於 11-6-28 20:11 發表
oops just found out that the attachment program is for F6 or above

Come on, break the rule.

Self-nomination and explain to the Senior Adm Manager that now it's 334, F5, F6 equivalent to F6~F7.........

ksenia, NO is not the answer ...... keep it going, not just you, also for your daughter......

發表於 11-6-28 20:28 |顯示全部帖子

回復 66# ANChan59 的帖子

Will call them tomorrow. Thank you very much!

發表於 11-6-28 20:30 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 ksenia 於 11-6-28 20:28 發表
Will call them tomorrow. Thank you very much!

I recommend your daughter to call them and not you, you can brief her, rehearsal with her..... must be her...... Ask her to prefer a CV and covering letter.

I know most professors prefer students take initiative to knock the door, make the proposal, send CV........ not you...

Good luck....

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-6-28 20:34 編輯 ]

發表於 11-6-29 19:08 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 68# ANChan59 的文章

Yes. She called it. They said it's full

發表於 11-6-30 00:00 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 ksenia 於 11-6-29 19:08 發表
Yes. She called it. They said it's full

Sorry to know that, try next year, she still have time if she is going to take F5 after summer. Ask QM again, when is the best time to apply......

發表於 11-6-30 00:06 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 70# ANChan59 的文章

She will be going to LPC in September. I guess she may not have time for that. Sigh...

發表於 11-6-30 00:09 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 ksenia 於 11-6-30 00:06 發表
She will be going to LPC in September. I guess she may not have time for that. Sigh...

Great to know your daughter took the offer.

She can do that in next summer in 2012...... for medicine attachment....

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-6-30 00:10 編輯 ]

發表於 11-6-30 00:13 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 72# ANChan59 的文章

Maybe. I guess academic studies should be the most important part. Perhaps drilling papers and having extra tutorial lessons next summer will be helpful for her IBDP. I'm so worried about her now. She is not the top batch (she once was but her results has slipped to the middle ones since F3). She often finds lessons boring and falls asleep. She is the kind of girl who likes to challenge teachers. Apparently her school teachers and principal don't like her at all. Any advice for improving academic results?

發表於 11-6-30 00:51 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 73# ksenia 的文章

Why she picked IBDP instead of NSS?

If she uses examination oriented approach for IBDP (drill past paper.....) why IBDP?

Before too late, browse the IBO, DBS, and SPCC - IB program websites, understand more IB. In other post I mentioned that in DBS, the teachers recommended some students to stick to NSS and don't take IBDP.....

If she likes to challenge authroities and status quo, it's good but not overkill. This character may be fitted for IBDP...

發表於 11-6-30 01:01 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 74# ANChan59 的文章

I thought drilling papers might be helpful. She doesn't like it. However, some of her friends from church are studying in international schools and they recommend her to do so.. We are just trying to arrange tutorial lessons for her English comprehension and critical thinking as her performance is not steady, not those 名師補習社.

發表於 11-7-5 21:25 |顯示全部帖子

PRC Attachment

Last two weeks I hosted two high school students from an Elite girl school and a boy from IS for the attachment in China & HK. Their academic background are flying colors and eligible for scholarship(s) in US.

They don't mind to live with workers in the dorm, basic living standard and they learn alot during the attachment.

They presented to me on Saturday what they learnt from the attachment:

1. The future decline of the World Factory in China when the costkeep on rising;
2. The industry transformation in China from low tech to high tech and more value-added....;
3. They are very lucky in HK, teenagers with similar age are working in the factory and the job pretty repetitive......
4. They teach staff to play piano, keyboard.....

After two weeks, they confirmed their future university majors and career path......... As a mentor, I am happy to know their inspirations........

發表於 11-7-7 21:14 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 76# ANChan59 的文章

HI,

My daughter wants to study law in HKU. Can anyone please give me some tips how she can get in and prepare?

發表於 11-7-8 23:37 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 HarryPotter 於 11-7-7 21:14 發表
HI,

My daughter wants to study law in HKU. Can anyone please give me some tips how she can get in and prepare?

HarryPotter

As my son won't target Law program, I didn't do much research on this. I hope other parents may offer some tips for your daughter.

My son shared with me his classmates who may pick Law either in HK or overseas, their English standards are very top, if in IBDP, they will pick syllabus A, Literature stream, HL and they are comfortable to score 7. In HKDSE, also A** is their target grade.....

I arranged a few causal meetings for my son with a High Court judge, a solicitor and a barrister from Legal Dept  3-4 years ago. The conclusion is Law is not his cup of tea.......

Some of my friends will arrange attachment in law firms, either local or international firms, all depends on connection.

In my son's school, they have a mentorship program coorganised by the Further Study Office and the alumni. The juniors will match with seniors according to their future study or their career inspiration, I know some mentors assist them for attachment or shadowing at least.

ANChan59

發表於 11-7-10 10:24 |顯示全部帖子
ANChan59

Thanks a lot for your reply.

About the attachment, I don't think my daughter's school will have something like that. Besides, we don't know anyone in the law profession which means we can't arrange attachment for her. Is there any other ways attachment can be arranged?

Or any other related experience will be counted?

Thanks in advance!

原帖由 ANChan59 於 11-7-8 23:37 發表

HarryPotter

As my son won't target Law program, I didn't do much research on this. I hope other parents may offer some tips for your daughter.

My son shared with me his classmates who may pick Law ...

發表於 11-7-28 09:20 |顯示全部帖子

回復 79# HarryPotter 的帖子

HarryPotter

I don't have a stright forward answer, just share some ideas may work for your case.

I know some District Councillors provide legal advices for gneral public, they may open to take on some volunteer(s)........

Law schools may take students can master both languages..... Some NGO provide service to Southern Asian in HK, volunteers as interpreters may help....

Just examples....

ANChan59

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-7-28 09:22 編輯 ]