密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 study in ESF school? path to University
查看: 3731|回覆: 23
go

study in ESF school? path to University [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 09-6-24 01:18 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
My daughter will join the ESF year one in coming August. However, I still worry the path to local university in the future, as I heard from my relatives that ESF students are difficult to get into local university. And overseas is the only choice. Is this correct?

This issue has been discussed in my family many times and still can't figure out!
   0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 09-6-24 09:26 |只看該作者
Pls check in your dictionary what is meant by "International". If your horizon is so narrow, pls don't send your kids to International school.

3#
發表於 09-6-24 10:19 |只看該作者
If you are aiming at local universities, why do you send your daughter to an international school?  If it's just for the sake of learning good English and having less pressure, you'd better think twice.  For me, I would be very disappointed if my child would only be accepted by a local university.

4#
發表於 09-6-24 13:24 |只看該作者
If your target is local university, local school would be the more logical choice. When the international school students apply to local u's, they are applying non-jupas, and the quota is much less than jupas, only like 5-10%.

For IB diplomas, HKU Law school requires minimum like 43-44/45, almost full score and is very very difficult to achieve. This exam result can baiscally qualify for Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge, etc.

5#
發表於 09-6-24 13:28 |只看該作者
By future economic or family reasons, studying in local U is always one (of course not the only one) of my children's options.
Hong Kong may have (or may not have) very famous Universities after 10 or 15 years. Why should be exclude ourselves for this future option now?
Maybe I will be going to bankruptcy after 10years. Local U maybe my one and only one option. Who knows?

6#
發表於 09-6-24 13:48 |只看該作者
Agreed. Maybe after ten yrs, HKU or other local Us will accept IS students via other system instead of non-jupas. Don't think too much.

原帖由 oooray 於 09-6-24 13:28 發表
By future economic or family reasons, studying in local U is always one (of course not the only one) of my children's options.
Hong Kong may have (or may not have) very famous Universities after 10 or ...

7#
發表於 09-6-25 10:31 |只看該作者
In Hong Kong, students not studying local curriculum would have to go for non-JUPAS. I do not know what is going to happen 10 years later, but that is the case now.
I am sure everyone has his own reasons when choosing a school and choosing a destination for tertiary education.
However, parents must understand each year there are this fixed number of places for non-JUPAS. Our kids are in fact in a very unfavorable position.
I think getting a place in local universities should not be that difficult, if you are willing to settle for something "less popular". But if you are talking about hot schools, eg law school, medical school, etc then it is hard. They are asking for unreasonably high scores/results if you are not doing local curriculum; those scores (like someone said) can probably take you to Harvard or Cambridge.
But things should be better in other areas. According to the websites of a few of the international schools, I noted that there are in fact quite a lot of international school students that decided to stay in Hong Kong for tertiary education.
So, not totally impossible, but you really need to adjust your hopes and expectations too.

8#
發表於 09-6-25 12:17 |只看該作者
Come on, HK is only a tiny city, do u want your childs only focusing on this small city and HKUs. We are all talking about cosmopolitan now. Only focusing on local stuffs are out, think big pls.

9#
發表於 09-6-25 12:21 |只看該作者
原帖由 Williamhero2009 於 09-6-25 12:17 發表
Come on, HK is only a tiny city, do u want your childs only focusing on this small city and HKUs. We are all talking about cosmopolitan now. Only focusing on local stuffs are out, think big pls.

Personally, I have never considered local universities.

But I think we should appreciate that there are people who consider this an option, and respect these people's choices.

[ 本帖最後由 almom 於 09-6-25 12:26 編輯 ]

10#
發表於 09-6-25 12:32 |只看該作者
I know ppl have different choices and I am not trying to stoke tensions here. This is merely a gesture of goodwill to offer comment. All I try to say is calling for many parents putting their kids to ISs should boarden their horizon. The earth is not just HK. I also know some ppls would cling to their desire, e.g. must be local Us. That's fine. But pls don't regret after few years.

11#
發表於 09-6-25 13:21 |只看該作者
The 'unreasonably high' score required to get into medical school in HKU is because you are not just competing with the local international students, but also those Hong Kong students studying in boarding schools abroad.
Nowadays, Hong Kong students from Eton & Winchester, Wycombe Abbey & Cheltenham Ladies', are all applying back to HKU if they want to do medicine.
Unfortunately in a world that is becoming more global, many professions are becoming more secular!

原帖由 almom 於 09-6-25 10:31 發表
In Hong Kong, students not studying local curriculum would have to go for non-JUPAS. I do not know what is going to happen 10 years later, but that is the case now.
I am sure everyone has his own reas ...

12#
發表於 09-6-25 14:49 |只看該作者
It is sure that Hong Kong is just a tiny city in the world, but it is difficult to understand why people thinking studying locally = narrow horizon?! From my understand, international = local + overseas. International is not only overseas, children graduated from overseas doesn't means to be better.

As a parent, I think we can only provide a studying platform to the children and it is his/her choice to study locally or overseas in the future. I just try to understand the pros and cons between local primary school and IS,  to ensure that it is the right choice with flexibility to my child.

13#
發表於 09-6-25 15:16 |只看該作者
原帖由 190204 於 09-6-25 14:49 發表
It is sure that Hong Kong is just a tiny city in the world, but it is difficult to understand why people thinking studying locally = narrow horizon?! From my understand, international = local + overse ...

In my opinion, Studying in IS in Hong Kong = Learning internationally and locally.

14#
發表於 09-6-25 15:57 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

15#
發表於 09-6-28 14:13 |只看該作者
原帖由 190204 於 09-6-25 14:49 發表
International is not only overseas, children graduated from overseas doesn't means to be better.

It depends on the profession.
For the professional bodies, eg. doctors, engineers, lawyers, accountants, etc, it seems that local graduates might get their professional qualifications easier and faster. However, if you are overseas graduates, you can move on further easier.
It is true that generally, most employers prefer overseas graduates, of course except you are targeting to work for the government.

16#
發表於 09-6-29 14:19 |只看該作者
I would say the first degree is just something basic in our kids' generation. I do trust some specialties and subjects in Hong Kong could be a good stepping stone while our kids could always get a second degree overseas. 20 years from now, sandwiches in China famous university could be popular. Who knows.

For your inforamtion, last year, 25% of HKU places were offered to non-JUPUS students. Most of them are from IB. And HKU Medicine is taking 39 points IB diploma result.

17#
發表於 09-6-29 16:53 |只看該作者

18#
發表於 09-6-29 19:15 |只看該作者
From your information, may you share the source for reference, pls?

原帖由 Miclint 於 09-6-29 14:19 發表
For your inforamtion, last year, 25% of HKU places were offered to non-JUPUS students. Most of them are from IB. And HKU Medicine is taking 39 points IB diploma result.

[ 本帖最後由 allyri 於 09-6-29 19:20 編輯 ]

19#
發表於 09-6-30 16:17 |只看該作者
Not only.  They can still get to local university through non-JUPAS admission.

原帖由 190204 於 09-6-24 01:18 發表
My daughter will join the ESF year one in coming August. However, I still worry the path to local university in the future, as I heard from my relatives that ESF students are difficult to get into loc ...

20#
發表於 09-6-30 17:05 |只看該作者
‹ 上一主題|下一主題