用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Just want to share a foreigner's choice about her ch ...
查看: 1757|回覆: 23
go

Just want to share a foreigner's choice about her children

發表於 09-6-5 09:59 |顯示全部帖子
My boy is also studying in a int'l kindergarden.  
But I know a native enghish speaker who is a int'l kindergarden teacher and her husband is ESF's secondary school teacher.  She has 3 children and she sent one to Marynoll, one to St Josephine primary and one to ESF's secondary school.  I just feel that, as a HK people, if we can afford, we would like to send our children to int'l school.  But as a int'l school teacher, they send their children to local school.  Just let me feel

發表於 09-6-5 11:00 |顯示全部帖子
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

發表於 09-6-5 11:36 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 JarJarBin 於 09-6-5 09:59 發表
My boy is also studying in a int'l kindergarden.  
But I know a native enghish speaker who is a int'l kindergarden teacher and her husband is ESF's secondary school teacher.  She has 3 children and sh ...

I guess:

1. They are native English teachers, so very easy to teach the kids native English.  What they need is teaching of native Chinese for the kids.  So they send the younger kids to good local primary schools.  This is just the opposite to us, we are native Chinese, so we can teach our kids native Chinese language, and we need native English teachers in IS to teach the kids native English.

2. They still send the elder kid to ESF secondary,  that means their elder kid is good at native English and can join IS in secondary stage and apply more easily to overseas U.

3. Financially it is of course better for them to take free educational benefits for at least 2 kids in primary and pay only for their secondary education.

[ 本帖最後由 WYmom 於 09-6-5 11:37 編輯 ]

發表於 09-6-5 11:45 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 3# WYmom 的文章

Native english is one of what we want for sending our kids to IS.  But for considering sending kids to IS, not only because of english, it is because of the way they teach children.  It is more than 50% of my reasons to send my kid to IS.  If only for good english, there are many ways to meet this target.   Money is also another issue.  But I think they don't have this issue.  They financial status should be quite ok.  And also, they have staff price for sending kids to ESF.  The point I want to say is that they like the way of local school teaching kids

發表於 09-6-5 11:58 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 09-6-5 12:09 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 09-6-5 12:17 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 JarJarBin 於 09-6-5 11:45 發表
The point I want to say is that they like the way of local school teaching kids.

I do not see why this is not possible.

發表於 09-6-5 12:31 |顯示全部帖子
Native english is one of what we want for sending our kids to IS.  But for considering sending kids to IS, not only because of english, it is because of the way they teach children.  It is more than 5 ...

No problem, agree.  If they like the local way of teaching, fine.  But how about secondary schools?  Why not continue in secondary stage?  My guess is still, for western kids, learning native Chinese since the kids are small is better and more effective in local schools than in IS.  No matter which language, it is most effective to learn in a natural native environment of that language.  That's what I meant in my last post.

We also like the way of teaching in international schools, so we choose it.  Everyone likes different things and has different choices.  So you actually know why they choose so, then why are you so puzzled in your first post ??  

[ 本帖最後由 WYmom 於 09-6-5 12:48 編輯 ]

發表於 09-6-5 12:58 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 8# WYmom 的文章

Of course everyone has their own choice.  I just want to express 有人遲冠歸固你, 有人漏夜趕科場.  I send my kid to IS because one of the well-known (maybe) reason is that it can induce children's creativity and be more confidence and children can learn without duck-feed style and can learn within a relatively bigger frame... somthing like that.

發表於 09-6-5 13:01 |顯示全部帖子
Native english is one of what we want for sending our kids to IS.

The point I want to say is that they like the way of local school teaching kids

I saw your other posts and believe you are now considering which schools to apply for your child.

I think the most important thing to consider is what YOU like. What OTHER PEOPLE like or choose is not important.

發表於 09-6-5 13:20 |顯示全部帖子
Hi almom

Yes!  I am considering which school (local or IS) to go for.  My boy is studying in an IS kindergarden now.  My mind has around 70% made up to let him study in IS primary and secondary.  Just having 30% still thinking if I should go for local school.  It is a long commitment.

原帖由 almom 於 09-6-5 13:01 發表

I saw your other posts and believe you are now considering which schools to apply for your child.

I think the most important thing to consider is what YOU like. What OTHER PEOPLE like or choose i ...

發表於 09-6-5 15:44 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 09-6-5 16:11 |顯示全部帖子
I am curious how they got their daughter and son in to MCS and St Jo??

A lot of local schools WELCOME western students. They are actually very proud of having a couple of western kids.
Even 30+ years ago, when I was in a local elite girl's school, we used to have a few western girls and the school was very proud of that.

發表於 09-6-5 23:02 |顯示全部帖子

發表於 09-7-7 11:00 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 wootaitai 於 09-6-5 23:02 發表
but nowadays the schools have no freedom in choosing students, different from our days
Did they knock door?

Of course they have, in some ways.
Even with the P1 place allocation, schools do have certain chances to choose their own students.
And the easiest way to route around is to accept students NOT by the allocation procedures.
Say students got accepted in other year levels, or in the middle of the year, etc.

[ 本帖最後由 nintendo 於 09-7-7 11:22 編輯 ]

發表於 09-7-7 11:18 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 JarJarBin 於 09-6-5 13:20 發表
Hi almom

Yes!  I am considering which school (local or IS) to go for.  My boy is studying in an IS kindergarden now.  My mind has around 70% made up to let him study in IS primary and secondary.  Jus ...

I sense that you are trying to justify your possible choice of a local school.
Well, all I can say is that, you are entitle to whatever you want to choose. If you want to opt for local school, go ahead. If you want people to agree, you have come to the wrong section. Go to 小學雜談 , and you would get total support.

There are quite some western families that have put their kids in local schools in Hong Kong. I know some families did that in Shanghai and Taipei too. They have one main purpose ---- learn Chinese.

I do not know that whoever you know told you. These westerners move around a lot. They may as well be gone in a couple of years anyway. But I can assure you that when the "real thing" comes, they would not risk their kids future by putting them in local schools. Honestly, I really do not see anything positive about local secondary school curriculum, especially in helping students getting into good universities in western countries.

Western kids would always go back to international schools if they are staying Hong Kong. As you can see that the eldest kid is already with ESF. What does that tell you?

Like someone said, yes, some local schools are very proud to have non Chinese students. And some parents are also proud of that, say that even western families are choosing local school.... things like that.

Give me a break! Why are people proud of that, if they are confident of the local school system? It is because they lack the confidence, and they somehow feel better if there are non local families voting local system too. It is really sad to see that local schools (and the parents) and THAT desperate.

發表於 09-7-7 13:18 |顯示全部帖子
Just be suprised that this topic has someone to reply again after one month.  

I would like to round up what I posted at the begining.  I think I know why my foreign friend sent their children to local school now because she asked me if I will be disappointed on my kid's chinese standard when I send my kid to international school.  I belived that she think chinese standard is important in HK.

發表於 09-7-7 13:43 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 JarJarBin 於 09-7-7 13:18 發表
Just be suprised that this topic has someone to reply again after one month.  

I would like to round up what I posted at the begining.  I think I know why my foreign friend sent their children to local school now because she asked me if I will be disappointed on my kid's chinese standard when I send my kid to international school.  I belived that she think chinese standard is important in HK.

I think you probably have missed someone else's message earlier. All international schools provide Chinese lessons. You need to do your research.

發表於 09-7-8 11:11 |顯示全部帖子
It should read:
"有人辭官歸故里, 有人漏夜趕科場"

發表於 09-7-8 12:10 |顯示全部帖子
I knew all IS has chinese lesson. However, I think what my friend's concern is the standard.  If you did read my post at the beginning, you will know that my friend is ESF's teacher in secondary school.  So I think they did the research more than I did.

原帖由 nintendo 於 09-7-7 13:43 發表

I think you probably have missed someone else's message earlier. All international schools provide Chinese lessons. You need to do your research.