用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Which school will you choose, RC or SJS?
發新帖
查看: 3587|回覆: 13
go

Which school will you choose, RC or SJS?

發表於 09-3-18 19:17 |顯示全部帖子
My daughter got offers from both schools.  We know both schools are very good and it is very difficult to decide which one to choose.  Appreciate if you can share your views.

發表於 09-3-18 20:09 |顯示全部帖子
what grade?Is it grade one?

發表於 09-3-18 20:19 |顯示全部帖子
Yes, both are good schools, but of course SJS la. One of the best in ESF, and SC too. RC "comparatively" is still very young, but great potential and good school facilities. But academic issue should consider first anyway.

發表於 09-3-18 20:40 |顯示全部帖子
Sabun,
Yes, she will be in grade one.

Popolung,
Thanks for your comments.  In what ways SJS is "one of the best ESF school"?  Do you mean their teachers' experience and qualifications?

How about chinese teaching?  Some people say RC chinese level is higher than other ESF schools?  Is that true?

發表於 09-3-18 21:05 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 X-Mum 於 09-3-18 20:40 發表
Sabun,
Yes, she will be in grade one.

Popolung,
Thanks for your comments.  In what ways SJS is "one of the best ESF school"?  Do you mean their teachers' experience and qualifications?

How about chi ...

The rate of students for SC (assume directly go from SJS to SC) to get into famous overseas Universities, and local U.

I think now RC has a better system to teach Chinese, but in 1-2 years, since all ESF will implement IB finally (and all ESF Primary Schools are using PYP now) so the gap will be closer, also because they learn the experience from RC too. IB emphasis to use 2 languages (Mother tonugue + 1 more language at least) during study.

發表於 09-3-19 13:36 |顯示全部帖子
I have the same situation!!  Pls Help!!  SJS or RC??

發表於 09-3-19 13:48 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 kcpapa 於 09-3-19 13:36 發表
I have the same situation!!  Pls Help!!  SJS or RC??

So your kid is in Abacus? And you live in Sai Kung / Clearwater Bay / TKO Area? And now your kid has been admitted by both RC & SJS? Is that correct?

As mentioned above, only for academic level, should choose SJS. RC has great potential, but still new somehow may have teething issues. But if you have problem in transportation to SJS (as RC has 20 school buses picking children all around HK, but not SJS I Believed), then have to consider this fact I believed.

But staying in SJS also give you a choice to relocate to other ESF (except RC / DC I think) in the coming year or Y2. Give & take.

發表於 09-3-19 14:43 |顯示全部帖子
Hello X-mum, kcpapa,

My son was offered P1 admissions to both schools (SJS & RC) in the first round in early February 2009. My husband and I have chosen SJS for him. RC has its strengths. But we are more confident with SJS over RC. SJS is also going to have Mandarin Chinese lessons every day starting 2009. For some reasons, I am not convinced by the saying of more Chinese learning opportunities with RC than SJS. To me, the only concern is that at RC they teach Traditional Chinese while Simplifed at SJS. I personally prefer Traditional Chinese. But SJS is overall a far more established school with academic track record (SC) and mature and experienced teaching staff and system. But RC has better facilities and campus. It is also more convenient in terms of transportation. It is directly located at a Mass Transit station. I have been to RC and found the staff very nice and helpful too. RC's information technology infrastructure is very well established with which, SJS's is not comparable. Also, RC offers lunch sets to its primary students but SJS doesn't. This has been a big problem for me too. If you choose SJS, perhaps we could share our thoughts and doings more at or off BK.

Good luck to your choice.

Miclint

發表於 09-3-19 14:54 |顯示全部帖子
One more thing I forgot to pinpoint, which you should already known anyway: SJS doesn't offer IB program at its middle years but RC offers a through IB program. Considering this, RC is better. RC offers scholarship to its outstanding primary students which can fully cover school fee while so far this has not happened at SJS (ESF).

Honestly, the decision between SJS and RC is really difficult to make. We had gone through a big pain in giving up one of them as both of them have their own strengths. It's really difficult!

Miclint

發表於 09-3-19 15:01 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 Miclint 於 09-3-19 14:54 發表
One more thing I forgot to pinpoint, which you should already known anyway: SJS doesn't offer IB program at its middle years but RC offers a through IB program. Considering this, RC is better. RC offe ...

when your kid start at Y1 this year, most ESF primary schools including SJS will start to teach PYP already, right? When they grow up then the school will completely use IB I believed.

發表於 09-3-19 16:01 |顯示全部帖子
I am always thinking about whether there will be another bottle-neck from ESF Primary to Secondary; like the one from ESF kinda to ESF primary we have been encountering today.
RC/DC provides us a through train from Y1 to Y12 while it seems no guarantee for ESF primary to be admitted by ESF secondary (maybe the hit rate is high; but who knows 6 years later? ESF kinda used to have a very high hit rate to ESF primary but this year the situation is changing...)
Although i am still on the waiting list of BHS , I am hesitating whether i should give up RC if i am lucky enough to have an offer later...

發表於 09-3-19 16:29 |顯示全部帖子
?? SC is not an IB school??

But from IBO web page, SC is an IB school for MYP and DP ??  is that mean they are transforming from IGCSE to IB at the moment and when the last class of IGCSE stream has been finished, then SC will be a full IB school?

The most difficult thing would be SJS and SC are very good schools.  RC is new, but will be very good potential, especially under new IB syllabus.

???

發表於 09-3-19 17:00 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 oooray 於 09-3-19 16:01 發表
I am always thinking about whether there will be another bottle-neck from ESF Primary to Secondary; like the one from ESF kinda to ESF primary we have been encountering today.
RC/DC provides us a thro ...

From ESF primary to secondary is guaranteed, as far as I heard.

But for your case of course you should keep the RC offer first, and wait for BHS. Good Luck!

發表於 09-3-19 17:01 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 kcpapa 於 09-3-19 16:29 發表
?? SC is not an IB school??

But from IBO web page, SC is an IB school for MYP and DP ??  is that mean they are transforming from IGCSE to IB at the moment and when the last class of IGCSE stream has  ...

see this from ESF website:

http://www.esf.edu.hk/index.aspx?nodeID=1037&langNo=1

Our Primary schools principally follow the National Curriculum for England and Wales, adapted for a Hong Kong and international context. English and mathematics are taught separately, while other subjects are increasingly taught through a trans-disciplinary approach. We are moving towards an enquiry-based approach to teaching and learning, leading to the adoption of the Primary Years Programme (PYP) of the International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO).

All our schools have a strong focus on developing the whole child and giving children opportunities for developing their independence.