密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 learn cantonese
發新帖
查看: 1742|回覆: 9
go

learn cantonese

發表於 09-3-13 22:28 |顯示全部帖子
My boy is 3 yrs old and he's studing at ESF TY .He speaks English ONLY and I want send him to learn Chinese ,is there any good recommendation??

發表於 09-3-14 18:41 |顯示全部帖子
Hell Style Training:
Half day in ESF and half day in a local Chinese Kindergarten (with government subsidary) nearby.No guarantee whether his English will be eroded in such 50/50 English/Chinese environement but you will see tremendous improvement in Cantonese.
Of course, not every children can last for 6 hours a day at school without afternoon nap...

發表於 09-3-14 18:58 |顯示全部帖子
No one can speak any Cantonese at home?

發表於 09-3-16 18:18 |顯示全部帖子
wow~~send him to 2 school a day seems too hard for him.

We speak english since he born and we want to "change channel back to cantonese" after he got admmitted by ESF,however he always say "don't talk to me like this,it's not funny!!"" (of I talk to him in Chinese/Cantonese)

發表於 09-3-17 08:50 |顯示全部帖子
My children were born in Canada/the US. They have always been using mostly English back there. However, we do speak to them mostly in Cantonese at home. Children are smart and they do understand.

I do not see how it is that difficult to make children use more Cantonese in Hong Kong, when in fact, almost everyone uses Cantonese in the city. Even western people that have lived here long enough can speak Cantonese.

There is no such things as whether children like it or not in some aspects. We are the parents and are those that set up the rules at home. We are ones that would decide what are best for them. If you think he should use more Cantonese, then he should.

Make it a rule that he at least has to listen to your speaking Cantonese, even if he does not want to. Then when he has heard enough Cantonese skills, he would be able to speak some. Without hearing more of a language, he would never be able to use it.

發表於 09-3-17 10:03 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 sillybabyq 於 09-3-16 18:18 發表
wow~~send him to 2 school a day seems too hard for him.

We speak english since he born and we want to "change channel back to cantonese" after he got admmitted by ESF,however he always say "don't tal ...

How about you and your husband? What language do you use with your husband? I used to talk to my husband in Cantonese. When my elder daughter was around 2.5 - 3 yrs old, she said something like your son because she didn't understand what we were talking about. But I keep talking to my husband in Cantonese(not to my daughters). Now, although she cannot speak very fluent Cantonese, she can understand part of our conversation.

發表於 09-3-17 21:24 |顯示全部帖子
I highly suggest you "switch" channels now.  As your child grows older, the resistance to pick up Cantonese and any form of Chinese will be progressively stronger.  English is an EASY language to master compared to Chinese, so it is natural that once a child is firmly established in English, he will not want to look at Chinese again.  

I used to talk to my daughter in English only.  My helpers are Filipino, so they talk to her in English as well.  Many of the Chinese kids and kids of other nationalities in my building are my daughter's playmates.  Even the Chinese kids speak only English!  I realized the potential problem of her shunning Chinese completely.  After my second baby was born when she was almost 20 months, I could spend more time at home (I work part time).  So I just kept talking to her in Cantonese.  

It took a while even for me to remember to speak to her in Cantonese, but it worked.  She will be 3 in two months.  Her Cantonese is better than English now, although she is generally capable of communicating in both languages.  However, I do not envision that she will have problems with English because I also plan to send her to an IS.

[ 本帖最後由 elmostoney 於 09-3-17 21:25 編輯 ]

發表於 09-3-17 22:09 |顯示全部帖子
if you and your husband (or even only you) are  native cantonese speaker, you now in HK and surrounding by cantonese environment, i don't see any difficulties for your kid to learn cantonese, just go ahead to speak to him, let him watch cartoon in cantonese and ask your relatives/friends speak cantonese to him.

發表於 09-3-18 10:23 |顯示全部帖子
try this one:

http://www.amyleunglanguage.com.hk/publications.html

heard quite good, but since I am Chinese, i don't need to learn Cantonese.... and she had a few books about learning Catonese, quite a lot of foreigners learn Cantonese via her too

發表於 09-3-19 01:09 |顯示全部帖子
thank you all of you~~

I will stick on my routine from now on and see what will happen!!